Headlights not working

BONZ1234
  • 2003 DODGE DAKOTA
  • AWD
When the ignition is on both headlights are on when I turn the light switch to on the drivers light goes out, I have both high beams but no low beam, I have switched bulbs from left to right to check for power and that is not the problem, I have light tested the connection and with the ignition on there is power and when the switch is turned to the on position no power at all could it be the switch or the relay? Thanks Rob
Wednesday, April 22nd, 2015 AT 10:39 AM

Have a pro scan for codes it may be the central timer module in lh kick panel
Monday, March 25th, 2019 AT 12:01 PM
SOUTHTECH
  • 2001 DODGE DAKOTA
I have no headlights, wipers work but no intermitent, service 4wd light is on which by the way I just had it in the shop about a month ago and they put in a new 4wd modual and switch for the 4wd. Everything was fine when I parked the truck last night started it today to find the above problem. Any ideas? I checked fuses did not see any that were bad.
Friday, June 26th, 2020 AT 12:19 PM (Merged)
Hi:
Does the 4wd still work for you? To me it sounds like a body control module (BCM) problem. Have the computer scanned at a nationally recognized parts store. They should do it for free, and it may point us in the right direction.

Let me know what you find.

RDIMAMB
  • DODGE DAKOTA
Two days ago while I was driving the headlights went off. If I flick the warning lights the high beams come on but of course only momentarily. All other lights stay on. I took off the 50 amp fuse for the lights in the box on the driver's side inner fender. When I pull the fuse out all light go off.

When I put it back all lights came on but no headlights. After a while the headlights came on again on their own. I tried to test the fuse by pulling the fuse out again and all lights went out (including the headlights) and when I replaced the fuse the headlights came on again. So I figured that the fuse was good and it controls the headlights as well. Tonight the same thing happened again.

The headlights will not come on. So I tested the headlight switch by testing it on another Dakota and it worked fine. I put it back and still no headlights. All the other lights stay on as they should. Is there a relay or a breaker switch that may need to be replaced? This is the only vehicle that my wife can drive because of her leg problems (the truck sits higher than my Mazda MX6 and she can get in and out easier). I need it to fix it as soon as possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Friday, June 26th, 2020 AT 12:20 PM (Merged)
JACK42
The problem with these trucks is the switch is a little weak. Can you try wiggling it back and forth to see if you can get them to come on? Then replace the switch to fix the problem. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.
+4
RDIMAMB
Thank you for your help. I traced all of the wires and ultimately we decided to change the light switch again. It was it. The switch was working intermittently thus suggesting a short somewhere when in fact there was none. In checking the wires I did find some that were corroded and fixed those before they became a problem too.
Thanks for your help again. Very helpful.

Roberto
+1
KEN
Here is a guide and the headlight wiring diagram so you can see where you are losing power if the headlight switch does not fix it. Check fuse G, 8 and 20.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Best, Ken
+6
HANK CADDYWACKER
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
1998 Dodge Dakota: replaced headlight bulbs (with same Sllvania part #9007) because one quit working (presumed burned out). Now neither headlight will work, but all other light are operational. Suggestions? Thanks.
Check fuses no.2 and 14-Check and test the headlamp switch and the dimmer switch it goes thru these switches before it hits the lights
Use a voltage tester, check for voltage at headlamp connector. Headlamp switch on.

In the diagram, red wire is voltage for highbeam, violet wire is voltage for low beam. Black wire is ground.

There is also a fuse you can check, fuse 2--40 amp, in power distribution center under the hood. Not only check the fuse, check for voltage on the fuse circuit. Hot all the time.
CRAFTYD88
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
Headlights quit working. I checked fuse it's good. Also, the switch in truck to turn them on is fine. The bulbs themselves are good.
If you have DRL then it may be the module if not that disconnect multi function switch as it may be that is bad. If you have DRL then a mechanic has to scan for codes. Also, check grounds near battery and right front inner fender.
STEVE W.
First question, Does your truck have daytime running lights? Second are both high and low out?
If you have DRLs check fuse B (fifteen amp), fuse C (twenty amp) and fuse two (forty amp) those are in the power center on the fender. Also check fuses fourteen and seventeen in the panel at the end of the dash.
If you do not have DRLs check fuses two and C in the power center and fuse fourteen at the dash fuse panel.

If these are all okay, then you need to go farther. Reply back with the answers to the above questions and I will try to assist (different wiring and testing process).
2CARPROS-ARCHIVES
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA
So I bought the truck used everything worked great now my head lights wont come on I fueses are good highbeams work if I jam the stick but after about a hour or so they turn off and on then stay onn for. A min then repeats idk what the problem is help please
Maybe a problem dimmer/multi-function switch? Did you test for voltage, anywhere?
+1
Just to add, if you fool with the steering column, disarm the air-bag first. Another thought is the headlamp switch, there is circuit breaker in the headlamp switch. Note the voltage wires in the diagram, check for voltage when problem is ongoing.
Sorry wrong diagram.
KOTABOB
  • 1997 DODGE DAKOTA
  • 180 MILES
Hi, My headlights have stopped working. I have checked all my fuses and relays and all seem fine. I installed a new headlight switch and a new multifunction switch and still no low beam lights. If I pull the high beams back the high beams come on but they go off when I let the switch go so they do not stay on. I also noticed when the high beams go on the fog lights go off but the fog lights and all other lights work fine aside from when the high beam is turned on. I hear the Dakota lights run off the computer but also hear that wasn't the case for the 1997 model so I'm unsure on that. If it is the computer and I get an aftermarket how do I get it working correctly for my Dakota? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Yes, the insane engineers have seen fit to hang an unnecessary, unreliable, expensive computer onto every conceivable system, but luckily your truck still has a common sense and simple circuit. The "flash-to-pass" is on a separate part of the headlight switch. If the high beams work normally, the headlight switch is okay. Since the flash-to-pass function works, we know the 30 amp fuse has to be okay too.

If the high beams work properly, (not the flash-to-pass function), go to the next paragraph. If the low and high beams do not work, go to the headlight switch or the dimmer switch and check for voltage on the light green wire. You should find 12 volts there with the headlight switch turned on.

If you have voltage coming out of the headlight switch, check on the red/orange and violet/white wires at the multi-function switch. One or the other should have 12 volts when you activate the dimmer switch. Let me know what you find missing.
ROYHOLLAWAY
  • 1995 DODGE DAKOTA
1995 Dodge Dakota

my headlights arent working I tried replacing the bulbs and I checked the small fuses in the truck and nothings working
Friday, June 26th, 2020 AT 12:21 PM (Merged)

Sponsored links