My car not starting

AYOOLA
  • 2002 VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT
Have parked my car down for over a year and its not starting, I change the plug yet its not starting but I noticed the car plug get wet with fuel, and the timing belt is intact. What can I do. The battery is ok. Its rolling, just not starting
Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 4:03 PM

Check to see if you are getting spark to the plugs. Also, if you are getting spark, check the fuel pump pressure.
Friday, December 9th, 2011 AT 5:19 PM
AYOOLA
Thanks For the reply. Yes the plug get spark and the fuel pressure is ok. But I noticed the plug get soaked with fuel and the timing belt is ok too cos I checked it. But I noticed that when I tried to start the car the engine rolls very fast could it (that the engine valve have bend or what do you suggest? Thanks for being there
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 5:00 AM
Okay, if the engine turns fast, there is a loss of compression. Either bent valves or the timing is wrong. Please keep in mind, the belt may have jumped a few teeth and still look good, but be off. You need to check that again and tell me what you find.
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 5:44 AM
AYOOLA
But can a parked car valve bent? What actually happened was that I misplaced the car key. A guy just decoded the car key for me. And gave me another keybut before the key got lost the car was working perfectly, though have parked it for over a year now. So dats why am asking that is it possible for a parked down car valve can it got bent? Or what do u suggest?
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:03 AM
If the engine is off, you can't bend a valve. I didn't know that. If the engine is turning fast, however, there can't be enough compression to start the engine. You are getting gas and spark because you said the plugs were wet and you had spark. I need you to check engine compression. If you need directions, go to our homepage under the diy section.

Let me know what the compression is in all cylinders. If you can and want, video tape it so I can hear what is going on. I could tell you right away if the compression is to low. Also, while sitting, you may have had a couple valves stick open.
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:10 AM
AYOOLA
Yes there is no enough compression for the car to start, the plug spark and the plug get soaked with fuel and the engine turn very fast. Dats exactly what's wrong. So what should I do
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:21 AM
Sir, if you get spark and fuel, have good compression, and the timing is correct, the engine has to run. It has no choice. You told me it turns fast, faster than it did before? If so, the compression is low.
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:24 AM
AYOOLA
What makes the compression low sir and what do they have to do?
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:29 AM
REALLY COLD WHERE YOU ARE LOCATED?

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:33 AM
AYOOLA
No its not, am in lagos in nigeria and weather here is very hot
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:36 AM
A stuck valve can cause low compression. If you check engine compression, I can point you in the right direcion. If I am wrong, then we need to check the timing. Since the car sat for so long, there is a chance that a few valves have stuck in the open position.

For directions on checking compression, visit our homepage under the DIY section. It isn't hard to do. You will need a compression gauge. Most parts stores will lend or rent them to you.

Let me know what you find. Also, if you can send a video and upload it for me to listen to, it may help.
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:41 AM
IF YOUR VALVE GUIDES ARE DRY---WHEN YOU TURNED THE ENGINE OVER INITIALLY, THEY MAY HAVE STUCK IN THE "OPEN" POSITION----SPRING'S CAN'T MAKE THEM RETURN TO CLOSED----JUST A THOUGHT

DO COMPRESSION TEST

Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 6:46 AM
AYOOLA
Thank you. Will get back to you
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 7:19 AM
Let me know what you find.
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 7:21 AM
AYOOLA
My mechanic just confermed that the valve has been stucked down cos the car has sat down for a long time. Does it need replacement or e just need to run d valve if he opens the top cylinder. Am asking all this questions because we don't have expert on car in where I stay in lagos. And pls is a 6 plug car better than a four plug car? How can I maintain a 6 plug car
Saturday, December 10th, 2011 AT 10:55 AM
Did he find low or no compression? If so, remove the valve cover and locate the valves that are sticking. Cover them with oil and gently tap on them to see if they release. They should.
Sunday, December 11th, 2011 AT 2:19 AM
AYOOLA
When my mechanic opened the top cylinder he noticed 10 valves got bent so he removed the 2 cylinder and he said he will grand the cylinder and later fix it back that the car will work then, and he. Said the timing jumped aswell. Hope notin will happen to the cylinder if he grand it? And he said he will change the jasket too that if he uses the old one that the car might do over heating. That's all he said. What's your best advice or his he doing the right tin?
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 7:01 AM
I agree that the gaskets need replaced. Additionally, since the timing has jumped, I recommend replacing the timing belt. That is what caused the problem in the first place.

If he is able to replace the valves and everything else in the head is in good condition, you should be fine.

At least we know why the engine was turning over so fast, no compression.
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 5:10 PM
AYOOLA
Thank you so much for being there all through. I will tell him all what you said. In nigeria we believe a four cylinder engine is better than a six cylinder engine. Is it true? And how can one manage a six cylinder engine. Can you also tell me the advantage and disadvantages of the both?
Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 5:20 PM
Honestly, one is as good as the other. As long as maintenance is done on them, they will both last you a long time.

A 6 cylinder, by nature, should have more power, but isn't any better or worse. Other than when it comes to fuel usage. A 6 will be likely to use more.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Wednesday, December 14th, 2011 AT 5:24 PM