Car start but die right away when is cold weather

JOSEVIZ1979
  • 2002 SATURN SL2

Hello there I got a saturn sl2 2002 run great when is warm weather but on the mornings whenthe weather is cold the engine start but it die right away no sure what could be the problem

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 11:01 PM

SATURNTECH9

Sounds like a bad coolant temp sensor and possibly bad connector. Do ever have to hold the gas pedal to the floor to start it?Any codes in the computer?

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 11:08 PM
JOSEVIZ1979

Holding the gas pedal to the floor work for a couple time now when I do it it dont start at all wihtout holding it start but die right away sometimes the security light come on but go away soon adn I havent take to scaner yet

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 11:28 PM
SATURNTECH9

I would change the coolant temp sensor also inspect the inside of the coolant temp sensor connector if the terminals are green or blue instead of silver replace the connector also. As far as the security light on thats a seperate issue. You will need to have a advanced scan tool scan your body control module for codes.A basic obd2 reader/scanner wont read the body control module.

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 11:39 PM
JOSEVIZ1979

Ok I will try that thanks

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 11:45 PM
SATURNTECH9

Your welcome keep me posted.

Tuesday, October 9th, 2012 AT 11:47 PM
JOSEVIZ1979

Hello there well I replaced the coolant sensor and the conector look good but it didnt fix the problem car run good on warm weather but morning when is cool wont stay on what could be

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 12:08 PM
SATURNTECH9

Replacing that sensor is the number one fix for that issue. Do you have any codes in the computer?Also the sensor connector terminals were silver?Also where was the sensor located you replaced and what was the part number of the sensor you put in?Just covering all my bases.

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 7:24 PM
JOSEVIZ1979

No I dont have any codes the sensor was in the block under the hose than come from the radiator the part was the same I pull out I will have to look the part number

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 8:12 PM
SATURNTECH9

Alright let me know what the part number is.

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 9:08 PM
JOSEVIZ1979

The part was Wt5029 no sure if that is the part number u talking about

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 9:21 PM
SATURNTECH9

Yes thats the correct sensor. Do you have a scan tool that reads live data?Also is the security light on solid or flashing when it stalls and wont keep running when trying to start it.

Sunday, October 14th, 2012 AT 3:48 AM
JOSEVIZ1979

I took the car to autozone for a scan read it come up with the trhottle positions sensor and the camshaft sensor but this car doesn't have a camshaft sensor so im replacing the tps this evening will see if that solve the problem in the morning about the security light it come uo sometimes but it go away quick right now is not on

Tuesday, October 16th, 2012 AT 11:02 PM
SATURNTECH9

What are the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions?Its very rare the tps fail on those cars.

Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 AT 3:53 AM
JOSEVIZ1979

The codes are p0122 and p0341 I dont what could be I remove the throttle and cleaning replace the tps and still no working in the mornigs when is cold the enfine light when off after a clean the throttle any suggestions

Friday, October 19th, 2012 AT 10:29 AM
SATURNTECH9

The code P0341 is most likely spark plugs use copper plugs only and wires. Do you still have a tps code?

Friday, October 19th, 2012 AT 11:35 PM
JOSEVIZ1979

Well I dint have any light on until today again the check engine light come back on so I will have to take it to read the codes also last year I replace the spark plugs and wires somebody told me could be the ignition coil

Friday, October 19th, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
SATURNTECH9

See what codes you have and let me know the numbers. ALso the code P0341 unless the coil towers are corroded bad coils arent setting that code.A bad coil would set a missfire code look at the spark plugs where the wires hook onto them look for black carbon powder. ALso look inside the spark plug wire ends where they go onto the plugs for that same powder. Let me know what you find.

Saturday, October 20th, 2012 AT 1:14 AM
JOSEVIZ1979

Hello well I still getting the p0341 code say cylinder 1 misfire could be bad spark plugs those were replace last year I check it they dont look that bad but I replace it for a better brand NKG I will see how it doing it in the morning is when the problems is

Monday, October 22nd, 2012 AT 11:59 PM
SATURNTECH9

Did you see any black carbon anywhere like I asked you to check for?

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 4:07 AM
JOSEVIZ1979

I did not see any black carbon everything look pretty good but I figure out a way to keep the car going this morning I was having the same problem but I use some start fluid and that keep the car going the lengine light still on maybe is something with the fuel

Tuesday, October 23rd, 2012 AT 10:19 AM