I'M HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY .

2002 Jeep Liberty

odinay

September, 11, 2012 AT 1:15 AM

Hi, I have a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 3.7 engine. Sometimes it will act like the battery is dead, won't turn over, then when it finally does start, I have to depress the accelerator slightly to get it to idle. After a short time, it will idle and run properly. It doesn't always do this, but it seems to do it if I've had the AC or headlights on. I had the battery and alternator tested and they checked OK. What do you suggest I do to it?

caradiodoc

September, 11, 2012 AT 1:46 AM

Once it acts up again try to keep it in that bad state so there's a defect to be found, then use a digital voltmeter starting at the battery and working your way toward the starter to find the bad connection. I can send you to a web page describing that procedure in more detail. It's actually pretty easy.

The idle speed problem is due to the Engine Computer losing its memory from the low voltage / bad connection. Once that is fixed I can describe the simple fix to relearn "minimum throttle".

Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006