Engine is stalling when it overheats

TOPNOTCHCHICK
  • 2002 DODGE STRATUS
"I HAVE A 02 AND ALL OF A SUDDEN OUT OF NOWHERE IT START RUNNING HOT AND CUTTING OFF ON ME. THE HEAT ALSO JUST STOP WORKING. When it hits hot when I press on the gas I start hearing a noise and the engine starts to kinda tick then it cuts off.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 12:43 AM

The engine's overheating will cause it to shut it down. The noise is because the oil is thinning out due to heat. Try not to run it that hot.

Does the engine overheat at highway speeds or only while stopped? Have you replaced the thermostat? Is the coolant clean and full? Has the radiator ever been flushed or cleaned?
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 2:26 AM
TOPNOTCHCHICK
Yes it start over heating on the high way and when I stop it would cut off. I do have coolant in it but I do have a leak somewhere because it keep running out. I just got my thermostat changed but haven't started my car because the battery is dead. Do you know what the problem could be?
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:13 AM
You need to locate the coolant leak and fix it first. As far as the battery, it could be weak due to trying to start it over and over. Recharge the battery and fix the leak. Make sure the coolant is full and try starting it. At that point you will know if it will start. If it doesn't let me know what is happening so I can further direct you.

Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:31 AM
PS: You lost heat because there was no coolant in the system.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 3:32 AM
TOPNOTCHCHICK
In order to get the leak fixed I would have to move the car do you think its going g to over heat and cut off? Because it had coolant and oil and it was over heating after I got off the high way. I just don't want to get stuck or mess the problem up more
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 6:14 AM
If this is a problem you can't fix, I wouldn't recommend driving it. It could cause more damage. If it is leaking the coolant, it will overheat again.
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 2:13 PM
TOPNOTCHCHICK
I got a new battery and the car won't start it sounds like its about to but I don't
Wednesday, September 21st, 2011 AT 6:35 PM
I have no idea how overheated it was. There could be engine damage. If you are getting spark and fuel to the engine, you need to check engine compression. You may have taken a head gasket out or warped a head causing a loss of compression.

Did you locate the leak?
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 12:25 AM
TOPNOTCHCHICK
No spark. So I had the spark plugs changed. It still didn't start. This machanic said he couldn't find out the leak untilled be starts it up. Since it haven't been running it haven't leaked the coolant is still filled
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 1:00 AM
They could pressurize the cooling system with a small hand pump to look for leaks. If there is no spark, have him check the crank sensor.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2011 AT 1:35 AM