BRAKE LIGHTS

2002 Dodge Durango

clairepbear

May, 31, 2011 AT 7:00 PM

The brake lights on my 2002 dodge durango keep going out. I have replaced the bulbs and the fuses multiple times but they keep going out. I took it to a mechanic and he said the circuits are messed up and I have to replace the entire brake light. Does this make sense?

caradiodoc

June, 1, 2011 AT 5:22 AM

What happens when you replaced stuff? Did the lights work for a while? You have three brake lights. Do all three quit at the same time? If so, there's almost no chance all three are going to develop a problem at the same time so the cause is almost certain to be something in common with all of them. Basically all that involves is the brake light switch.

If the center high-mount brake light still works, you know the brake light switch is working. The likely suspect would be the multi-function switch. (Fancy name for the turn signal switch). More commonly if the signal switch has a bad contact, only one side brake light will be affected and the other one will still work. Even that doesn't apply if the turn signal and brake light bulbs are different. I can't remember which year they started using separate bulbs.

Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement