My car has a miss

RONI0788@GMAIL.COM
  • 2001 LINCOLN TOWN CAR
My car has a miss. Things I have replaced on it

1. Alternator
2. Intake manifold with thermostat
3. Eight new ignition coils
4. New battery
5. New water pump.

What could it be?

When I bought the car in December I got a full tune up including new spark plugs. Is it time to get new ones again?
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 4:26 AM

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge auto parts rent it. also check for a vacuum leak like hoses/ etc.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 6:38 AM
JIS001
Ignition coils are very common to fail but will not set misfire codes unless it is severe enough. If you can get a good scanner where you could see MOD 6 data then this is how you check to see if you have a cylinder misfiring.

Go to MOD6 and go to Test Id $53 Next screen will have the component numbers. $00-$0A That would be cylinders 1-8 Click on each one, one at a time and record the recorded misfire counts. If you see one cylinder higher then the rest then swap that cylinder coil with one that shows no misfires. Reset the computer and road test again until it acts up a few times. Recheck your MOD6 data and if the counter jumped to the new cylinder you installed the coil too then your coil is defective.

You can also do that with spark plugs and fuel injectors. But I believe if you do have a slight miss especially under load, then I suspect you will find a bad coil using the information I gave you. Good luck to you and let us know how you do.
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 1:36 PM
RENEE
Please get back to us with what you find and thank you for visiting 2CarPros.

Renee
Admin
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 2:16 PM
RONI0788@GMAIL.COM
All 8 could are brand new
Tuesday, September 20th, 2016 AT 2:23 PM
JIS001
It is a starting point I am directing you too. Have seen defective coils before but as stated earlier you can do the same tesy with plugs and fuel injectors.

But first you need to look at the data I pointed out to see if you do have a misfire? If you do not have a scan tool to provide Mod 6 data then you should take it in to your local shop for proper diagnosis.
Thursday, September 22nd, 2016 AT 3:08 PM