FILL UP THE GAS TANK IT STOPS

2001 Hyundai Accent

rev1516

June, 12, 2012 AT 8:27 PM

Whenever I try to fill up the gas tank it stops after.25 gal repeatedly, could this be fixed by a fuel system cleaner? I took it to a shop and they didn't find any problems with the fuel system, so im just wondering if it is possibly a problem with residue somewhere in the tank or lines.

saturntech9

June, 12, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

If the pump shuts off that quick you have a problem with the fuel vent system or a restricted fuel filler neck.I have even seen part of a hose broken off in the fuel filler neck from someone trying to steal gas. Causing the pump to turn off and the tank to not fill. Are there any codes in the computer?I cant belive they couldnt find a problem when they looked at it. Pretty cut and dry the vents not working correctly or the filler neck is restricted by something.

rev1516

June, 12, 2012 AT 9:00 PM

Is there any way to check for a restriction w/o dismantling the system or taking it to a shop? It's my first car and I dont want to spend an arm and a leg to find out I couldve fixed it cheaply

saturntech9

June, 12, 2012 AT 9:50 PM

Lets start by taking it to a auto parts store to have it scanned for codes. Let me know the exact code numbers not code descriptions. Before we start taking anything apart I would like to know if there are any codes.

Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet