Tail lights not working

DUTCHLADY
  • 2001 FORD F-150
2001 Ford F 150 Crew cab - tail lights have stopped working. All fuses and lamps have been checked. Electrical circuits have been tested and are checking out fine. Light switch has been pulled and tested. Where do I go from here? It seems as if everything is in working order, but no tail lights.
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 5:36 PM

It sounds like the parking light relay is not working but to be sure are two guides and the tail light wiring diagrams to see where you are losing power.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 6:34 PM
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Have you tested the sockets themselves?
Even if they test hot, they cand still get worn out to where they don.T make good contact with the bulb?
Do you have 1157 or 3157 bulba? Reason being the 1157 more prone to fail in regards to not making goood contact with the bulb. Reason being that the bottom plate has a spring behind it that can get weak over time and the contacts themselves can wear down.
The newer 3157, push in straight style, can stiil have the same issues, but less likley.
So, if the sockets are hot when you test them, they might still need replacement. If there is corrosion, you can try WD-40 and let it soak over night and then clean it out. Also, the eraser end of a pencil is good to clean off contacts even if they do not appear corroded as there is a type of corrosion, I forget what it is called, that is hard to see but will create resistance and the eraser will get rid of it.

One last thought, if you happen to be using an LED as an upgrade, sometimes they will have issues and end up being dimmer or not work because a diode does not work well with high amp changes. They usually need a box that handles this problem. They will not dim, blink or get brighter without it.

I hope this helps.
Let me know if you need anything else and I will keep an eye on this post and respond ASAP.
-2
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 6:46 PM
DUTCHLADY
Okay here are the answers to the questions.

Voltage tester was used. No the license plate lights do no work. All electrical circuits are complete.

Lights are NOT automatic.

Sockets were tested. Bulbs are 3157.

Everything done so far shows the lights should work. AARGH. It is so frustrating.
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 7:52 PM
Do you have voltage at the brown wire, headlamp switch turned on?
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 8:01 PM
DUTCHLADY
Yes there is voltage at the switch. Switch was taken out and tested.
+1
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 8:46 PM
I'm talking about at the rear lites, not the switch?
Sunday, February 6th, 2011 AT 8:57 PM
DUTCHLADY
It was the relay thanks for he guides and helping me I love this stie all for free god bless you guys.
-1
Monday, February 7th, 2011 AT 12:13 AM
Glad you could get it fixed, that kind of problem can be tough. Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help

Cheers
Monday, February 7th, 2011 AT 3:13 PM
JULIORAMIREZ
I've checked the fuses every in my truck four door 2001 f150 my brake lights work but now my automatic ones. I think I might have to rewire them. Do you have any idea what it could be?
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 AT 3:19 PM
NOHJ
I found multifunction switch connector ot have an issue. The wires had come out of the connector. This was one problem. Replaced the connector. Now have stop and turn signal lights. Had problem with reverse lights. Connector near spare tire had issue. Wired around the connector now have reverse lights.
Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 AT 1:28 AM
KEN
Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, October 31st, 2017 AT 2:09 PM
NOHJ
Now I have problem with tail light. I have front amber running lights. Do not have tail light. Talked to auto electrician. He said, "The power distribution box in right side engine compartment has possible failure. Find the tail light wire in distribution box. Put battery volts to the wire. If the tail light lights up then that is the problem.". He told me the distribution box is made up of several layers of connections. The connectors between the layers fail. The fuse test will always show volts. I would like to know correct wire color is for my 2000 F-150 xlt 4.2l. I think it is brown white tracer.
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 AT 6:49 AM
KEN
It sounds more like a hazard switch that is out. Here is the wiring diagram and a guide to help you do some testing so you can get the problem fixed.

Here are the blinker light wiring diagrams and you can see there is no PDC in the circuit except for the fuses.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, November 8th, 2017 AT 11:25 AM