2001 Dodge Caravan Transmission, could it be the computer?

MINIVANMAN
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN
My van has the check engine light on, what started happening is that the transmission wont shift past the second gear. It doesnt slip or it hasent lost power. I checked the fluid and its clean and at the right level. I checked the check codes and it reads a problem with the engine control module(computer), or at least that what the mechanic told me. Could changing the computer fix it or is it a gamble? Another simptom is that the speedometer sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt. Whats that about, is it related?
Wednesday, December 16th, 2009 AT 6:42 PM

LSOTO
I"m no expert. This is common problem with Dodge trans. I'm having a similair issue. Your van is in limp mode which it will not leave 2nd gear. This helps you to drive the instead of shutting down. Repairs need to be done.
The computer issue, did he mean the transmission (TCM)or engine computer. Usually its the TCM gone faulty. The speedo not working makes me suspect the trans output sensor.
Make sure your mechanic has read the TCM for fault codes reapir them first then go from there. The output sensor is an easy and cheap fix you may be able to do. Read other post about the sensors location
Be very werry if mechanic says, you need to rebuild tran.
+1
Friday, December 18th, 2009 AT 7:17 PM
BMRFIXIT
1st step I would take would be replacing speed sensors
you have two input and output

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_56.jpg

+2
Saturday, December 19th, 2009 AT 5:29 AM
MINIVANMAN
First of all guys thanx for the info. Now a question, where is this famous TCM I keep hearing about, I cant find its location? I will first change the sensors and if that does'nt work I would like to know where the hell is the TCM before I take it to a mechanic. The codes that come out are p1684 wich I think means that the battery was disconected and the other is p0700. It has some e codes too, I have no idea what those mean e1003, e1004, e1005, and e1006, any info would be appreciated.
+1
Monday, December 28th, 2009 AT 1:56 PM
BMRFIXIT
The TCM is located behind the inner

fender well of the driver side wheel. It also has a very high failure rate due to corrosion and also check wiring because

of its location.
+1
Tuesday, December 29th, 2009 AT 6:49 PM
MINIVANMAN
Thanx bmr, I thouhgt that was the ecm in front, or next to the battery I should say.
+1
Wednesday, December 30th, 2009 AT 1:23 PM
MINIVANMAN
Hey guys here we are two years later and the tcm went out again, can you believe it, why is chrysler so low quality.
+1
Tuesday, December 13th, 2011 AT 6:22 AM