No reverse

ADESIGNBYARTUR
  • 2007 DODGE CARAVAN
Transmission problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

I have change the the solenoid filter and put new oil but still no reverse, I have checked the forward gears they work fine. Need some direction
Artur raczkowski
Monday, June 14th, 2010 AT 8:06 PM

KEN

These transmission had a problem internally with the clutch pack seal that engages reverse. The only fix is to remove the transmission and rebuild it. But to be sure scan the car for codes to see if there is a speed sensor error, also on an outside chance the TCM has gone out which would needs some testing to determine.

Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 1:03 PM
SDOUCETTE
  • 2007 DODGE CARAVAN
Was working fine yesterday, is there something that I can check
+3
Friday, March 17th, 2017 AT 1:04 PM (Merged)
MHPAUTOS
No not really, best left to a trans specialist as special tooling will be required.
MADMAX62
  • 2005 DODGE CARAVAN
2005 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96000 miles

I had a trans leak for some months. Trans shifted fine forward but the past month, reverse stuttered. My mechanic told me last week that the fluid level was low by about 2 quarts for the past several months. Long story short, I forgot he added 2 qts & I added another qt - over filling it (over a quarter inch above full line). Next day as I was going up and down a few steep driveways on my delivery route USING THE LOWEST GEAR. The trans started slipping. Couldn't get up the steep driveways at all using the 2 lower gears (I honestly don't remember if I tried nomal "drive". Reverse was still working. I continued my deliveries with a lot of improvising. About 20 min later I relized that when I traveled 30mph on level street, the rpm was staying at 3000 rpm and I dared not go any faster. Continuing my deliveries, about an hour later, the rpm went back to normal, when accelaratiing to 50mph, rpm would go to about 2500 rpm, then shift down to about 1500 rpm. Out of curiosity, I slowed to 40mph and shifted to a lower gear, than the lowest. The trans did not shift at all (rpm remained the same at about 1200 rpm at all gears at 40mph) The next day on my deliveries, I could go up the steep driveways in normal drive (didn't want to try the lower gears at all)
without any problem. Then I was backing up a steep driveway, my reverse just stopped working. I continued my deliveries, again with a lot of improvising. But like the day before, I had the same problem -rpm at 3000 at 30mph on level street, then everthing going back to normal about an hour later, except this time, the reverse is 99.9% dead. I say this because when I do reverse, it will move backwards ON LEVEL GROUND about 1 foot in about a minute, then I give up. Once I got it home (2 days ago) I haven't driven it since. But I rechecked the fluid today and that's when I relized that I overfilled it. I checked it by letting it run just a few minutes (still cold) put it through all the gears then back to park. With it idling, the level is in the "hot level" area instead of the "cold level" area where it should be when it's still cold. Did the overfill cause all of the above problems or was it because I had been driving it on low for a few months, or both. In either case, what happened? What are damages and the fix? Will draining it a quart or so be worth trying to improve any of the conditions? Any other options b4 replacing trans? PS - fluid is still clear and pink. THANKS!
-1
KEN
It sounds like the repeated fluid level problem has taken is toll. The transmission will lose pressure allowing the clutches to slip and burn up. The transmission will need to be removed and rebuilt it should cost about $1700.00

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Monday, November 6th, 2017 AT 3:16 PM