TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE

1998 Dodge Caravan

csinkhorn

March, 26, 2008 AT 3:23 PM

1998 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 262500 miles

After reading the other postings, I realize what a unique Grand Caravan I have. I bought it new in '98 and it now has more than 262,000 miles on it. Original engine, transmission and all. About 3 months ago, the check engine light came on. I took it to the auto parts store to find out what the code was. They told me the code was for the transmission controle module. Anyway, the parts store guy cleared the code and I continued to drive it because it didn't seem to be acting funny. The check engine light did come back on. Then one day the van just stopped shifting on the way to work. I took it home and left it. When I drove it again, it did fine and after another week or two the light went out. Now today, about 2 months later, while driving it, it just put itself in neutral. I put it into low gear and it seemed to " catch", but it kept slipping back into neutral. Any chance it's the transmission control module and not the tranny? How do I determine which is the problem?

Service Writer

March, 26, 2008 AT 4:07 PM

What code number was listed?

That is a unique van. The miles don't surprise, but the original tranny does. Usually the require a fairly often change of the filter and fluid (25,000) to get long mileage.

I need the code number to see what procedure is used for testing. Gut feel is transmission.