Transmission Control Module

CSINKHORN
  • 1998 DODGE CARAVAN

Transmission problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 262500 miles

After reading the other postings, I realize what a unique Grand Caravan I have. I bought it new in '98 and it now has more than 262,000 miles on it. Original engine, transmission and all. About 3 months ago, the check engine light came on. I took it to the auto parts store to find out what the code was. They told me the code was for the transmission controle module. Anyway, the parts store guy cleared the code and I continued to drive it because it didn't seem to be acting funny. The check engine light did come back on. Then one day the van just stopped shifting on the way to work. I took it home and left it. When I drove it again, it did fine and after another week or two the light went out. Now today, about 2 months later, while driving it, it just put itself in neutral. I put it into low gear and it seemed to "catch", but it kept slipping back into neutral. Any chance it's the transmission control module and not the tranny? How do I determine which is the problem?

Wednesday, March 26th, 2008 AT 3:23 PM

SERVICE WRITER

What code number was listed?

That is a unique van. The miles don't surprise, but the original tranny does. Usually the require a fairly often change of the filter and fluid (25,000) to get long mileage.

I need the code number to see what procedure is used for testing. Gut feel is transmission.

Wednesday, March 26th, 2008 AT 4:07 PM
QULINA212
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN

1999 Dodge Caravan 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I took my car to the locail auto zone for a diagnostic test and it said that something was wrong with my transaxle module. What is that and how do I get if fixed.

Monday, August 14th, 2017 AT 2:03 PM (Merged)
CH112063

The transaxle control module is called the TCM. It gets information from the transmission sensors( a front wheel drive transmission is called a transaxle) and decides how and when to shift the transaxle and other things also, like telling the other modules what the transaxle is doing. If you are having trouble with your transaxle have the fluid checked first thing. Then bring it to any Chrysler dealership for service. If you are not having any problem with your transaxle, don't do anything. I never even saw a 4 cylinder Caravan that had the type of transaxle that used a TCM. But Good luck. The scan could have been incorrect. If you don't have a transaxle control module the module that the person scanned may have read 'no signal from transmission control module' and thats why the scan reading.

-1
CARA_VAN
  • 1994 DODGE CARAVAN

1994 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I would like to know if a TCU from a 1993 Caravan will swap in a 1994 Caravan. Both are 3.3L 4 speed automatic transmission.

ZACKMAN

Both should have part numbers and serial numbers. For as long as the part numbers match, you should be OK.

TERRY NEWMAN
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

Will a TCM from a 2006 Caravan work on my 2003 Caravan?
Thanks. Terry

Monday, August 14th, 2017 AT 2:04 PM (Merged)

It may as long as they are the same transmissions. It will have to be programmed by a pro anyhowotherwise it wont' work

TIMSHORT48
  • 1999 DODGE CARAVAN

1999 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 118000 miles

what does the tcm do

OBXAUTOMEDIC

Hi Tim,

I believe you have a post already for this.

Anyway, Newer Trannies are eletronic and the TCM works in a similar manner as the PCM. The eletrical componants in the tranny send pulses to the TCM which inturn tell it when to shift and so on.

.

BUBBA_GOT_YOU
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN

2001 Dodge Caravan 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi, my van transmission is having a problem it will shift fine one moment then it wont shift out of 1st. Guy at advance auto said it was a transmission control module malfunction. Any idea what that is supposed to mean

BMRFIXIT

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic9_38.jpg

Do you have check engine light on
scan TCM for codes
most common is speed sensors and or tranny solenoid packs
should have it scanned for codes

+1
SJLANEY46
  • 2003 DODGE CARAVAN

Mechanic said TCM for transmission needs replaced going to buy a used one. What do I need to look for as far as numbers etc when I buy it? Is it plug and play or do I need to have it flashed? Also, the electronic cooling fans do not come on.

2CARPROS KEN

This is two separate problems. The cooling fans sound like the speed control module by the radiator which is common. As far as the tcm it can go either way sometimes when you get the right numbers it is just plug and play but other times the computer looses its variables and needs reprogramming.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

ELPEQUE2
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVAN

Had a transmission scanner and it says it was TCM, I had it replaced with rebuilt one but it didin't work. 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport it only goess to 1 gear (2nd or 3rd) but it doesn't shift to any other one, self scan throws a code 0700. Do you have any ideas what can be wrong? Selenoid box was also replaced.

DOCFIXIT

Use scanner to clear code see if it resets

ZAJACRV
  • 2001 DODGE CARAVANDODGE CARAVAN

2001 Dodge Caravan Sport - 116,000 miles

Getting codes p0605, P0700 and P0740

The transmission shop says that I need to get my ECM fixed first before going into the transmission to fix P0740. He says that since the computer is bad, it may be sending a false message - and that by fixing the computer that may solve the transmission problem - or it may not - I may have 2 separate problems. He said the computer might be bad - or it could be a wire that is bad.

Is there is separate control module for the transmission-or is there just the one large computer on the front right side of the engine compartment.

How should I proceed?

MERLIN2021

The van has a transmission control module,
P0605 Powertrain Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error
I would see if there are any TSB's and see if the dealer can reflash the PCM before you replace it.
P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)
P0740 Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
If the PCM memory isn't working right the tranny codes could be bogus. Fix PCM first!

A604
  • 1995 DODGE CARAVAN

I have a a604 with an eatx2 TCM. I have intermittent at start up limp mode problem, I have one code (43) od solenoid circuit failure. I checked resistance of the solenoid it was 1.8 ohms, then I unplugged TCM 60 pin and Solenoid pack 8 pin to check wire it too was good, Does that mean my TCM IS bad?

2CARPROS KEN

The only way to be sure is to plug a new or used one in but it sure sounds like it.

Here is the thread you created about the same problem

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/wiring-diagram-27333979

Please follow the tests outlined in this thread.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

Tuesday, September 19th, 2017 AT 10:01 AM