HELP! NEED OVERHEATING DIAGNOSTIC

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

Norcal

August, 12, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

Friends 2001 Chevy Malibu was overheating and was driven on into the red. I replaced the thermostat for her hoping for no further damage however upon restart and drive the car now blows white smoke, runs rough as if a piston misfiring, and still overheats. I'm thinking HG, warped head, cracked IM, or cracked block etc. I just need to know what you think? Most of all is how to diagnose correctly. Thank you in advance.

Norcal

August, 12, 2012 AT 8:20 PM

I guess I should have just gone to troubleshooting first lol. I found the main reasons and ways to check. If there are more tips or tricks that can help please post em thanks

saturntech9

August, 12, 2012 AT 8:39 PM

Rent a chemical block tester from auto zone buy the fluid and that will tell you if have a blown head gasket etc wont tell you which it is. You will have to tear it apart to figure that one out.

Norcal

August, 12, 2012 AT 8:55 PM

Thanks saturn. Looks like no matter what though it's gonna be a project. Wish me luck

saturntech9

August, 12, 2012 AT 10:06 PM

Wish you luck please keep me posted.

Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage
Thermostat Replacement Mercedes Benz C230