'01 Impala won't start

LAUREN31006
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have a 2001 Chevy Impala, and it won't start. I have been having this issue for several months, but usually 10 mins changing gears and such it would turn on. Now nothing. Some say it may be the security system, battery cable etc. The security light has been coming on for a few weeks now, and last time I tried to start it, it was making clicking noises and the radio displayed "error". Can anyone help!
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 6:50 PM

ERNEST CLARK
Not sure what you mean "10 min of changing gears". But what you should do is have the computer scanned. Call around to shops and ask who'll do a free estimate.

Once you find one, get back with me (their results) and I'll try to help you from there.
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 6:52 PM
First, the security system will allow the starter to crank the engine, but will shut down the fuel and spark to the engine. On the other hand, the neutral safety switch won't allow the starter to engage. In your description, you described two different scenerios. Can you describe what is happening when you turn the key to the start position?
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 6:54 PM
LAUREN31006
Thank you for your responses! It does nothing. Before, it used to display several messages in the message center, such as security, change engine oil, get car serviced, battery icon etc. Now nothing at all. When the tow truck driver used the battery pack to jump start the car, the alarm went off. That's why he thought it may be the security system. Also, I should probably mention before it would take a jump(if I could not wait the 10 mins), but now that no longer works.
Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 7:56 PM
What you are describing sounds like a security system issue. If it took 10 minutes, that is the amount of time needed to over ride the system (with the key in the run position). This is a good one. I would have to say this. I would first check the battery to make sure it is producing enough power. Next, check the fuses under the hood. Make sure nothing is blown there. Finally, I would say have a dealer check the security system. They are the only ones with the proper test equipment to check it.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Saturday, November 20th, 2010 AT 9:35 PM