Will not start any ideas?

TDDOWNARD
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
Wife drove durango and said the engine light came on then went off, came home and parked it. The next morning it turns over but will not start. I turn the key on and can hear the fuel pump run, sprayed gas into throttle body = same thing, no start. I put a spark indicator between # 1 plug and coil = indicator does not light up. I checked the cam and crank sensors they look to be fine as does all wiring and grounds. I ohms tested all 8 coils and all are within.6 to.9 ohms. I checked the input voltage to each coil and got readings that range from 4.7 V. Dc to 24.1 V. Dc ( I can't find any specs on that voltage? ). With help I decided to change out the PCM = No change. I then replaced the crank sensor = No change. Battery is good with a full charge. I am out of ideas, cam sensor? I don't think it stop eng from starting? Any other ideas?
Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 7:00 PM

There is an ASD relay that needs to be checked here is a guide to help you test it and the location of the relay in the diagrams below.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

This guide can help as well

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
+1
Thursday, March 29th, 2012 AT 7:27 PM
MDM
Thank you for this post I checked the ASD and it was bad got a new one for $34.00 all fixed! I love this site.
Monday, December 31st, 2018 AT 1:28 PM
RYGUY13
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
I recently had to replace the battery terminal cable connects due to extensive corrosion which fixed it. Recently, however, it won't even try to start. I turn the key to "on" and there is an annoying whining buzzing sound coming from somewhere behind the radio, the gauges don't even move and when I go to start it nothing happens (not even a single response from the starter). I cannot seem to find a fuse diagram anywhere to see which fuses to check, and being in the military I don't have a whole lot of time to go looking under the dash and hood for the right one. I'm thinking it's either a fuse or perhaps something worse. What can I do to try to fix the problem myself? Or should I just have it towed to a shop and get it fixed by the pros? Money is tight, so I think I'd have to wait until the new year to take it in.
Monday, December 31st, 2018 AT 1:29 PM (Merged)
UNCIVILIZED
I had the same problem about 2 months ago. After replacing all the wire I had to replcae the battery. Try that.
-1
JDAGBOY
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
I have a 2000 durango r/t it ran fine then went out to start it wouldnt but was able to jump start. It only has started a couple of time since then. The auto shut down and the fuel pump relay inside the engine compartment clicks when you try to start it. There is a clicking sound coming to the right of the glovebox. Radio windows locks dash lights etc. Wont come on either. I have checked all fuse changed around the relays put in a different battery as well nothing seems to work. Could it be the bcm? Scanner shows nothing but a sensor for tranny and the pcv. How do you check the the bcm
DRCRANKNWRENCH
Looking through our service manual it appears that the BCM should show up on a trouble code test. However, as you will see in attached instructions it may not be complete unless a special factory trouble code reader is used in conjunction. You may also have a problem with the Powertrain Control Module which I gave you a test instructions for. The referneces for trouble codes will come up on a reader unless a factory one is required and symptoms do not list anything about performance it just refers to other tests.
I think there is another possiblity. There is a crach module that is extra sensitivve and it may be intermitantly turning relays on and off as a safety percaution as it thinks it has been in a wreck. This particularlly includes the fuel pump. You may also be hearing the stater solenoid clicking and perhaps the battery ihas a dead cell. Check the voltage when you try to start it. Of course it should be 12V at stand still but should not drop when trying to start.
There was one other thing that can mess up a BCM or PCM, a battery short. It only leads to more round robin test instrucitons when I followed the symptom and gave me no goood information without having a factory tester. You may have done this or have shorted it or had a voltage surge of 5V which will mess up a BSM or PCM.
I also attached the BCM wiring diagram so you can see if any of the wires are loose or sorroded. Check the grounds for a clean metal to metal fit.
JDAGBOY
Where is the crash module located at?
Monday, December 31st, 2018 AT 1:30 PM (Merged)
DRCRANKNWRENCH
It al depends on the motor you have so I sent you the location chart.
BOöN
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
2000 Dodge Durango Automatic 146000 miles

Hi, My name is Victor im 17 years old and have had the Durango for about a year now and have had few to none problems. Today I went to go start my car and at first it made a clicking sound very loud very consestant. Now I have very very limited car knowledge so I ask a friend of mine he said that it probaly ment the battery died. So He drove over and we attempted to jump it. After the first attempt the clicking sound went to a loud squeeling sound as if the engine was try to start but never really got through. We've attempted to jump it like 3-4 times now and it keeps getting that squeeling sound. The clicking sound went away. So making some progress. But Please any help would be amazing!
Does it sound like steel gears grinding together at a very high speed?
BOöN
No. It sounds more like the egine is trying to start. But it just doesnt actually start. It starts of slow but when I push down the peddle it slowly gets faster and faster
When it starts, if it taking its time reving (slowly), it sounds like the fuel mixture is too rich. Have you noticed any black smoke coming from the exhaust?
BOöN
No. But it also doesnt start up. It makes a reving sound then it just keeps doing that until I switch the key off. It actually never turns on.
ALIAGREENE
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
I left my lights on and y battery went low I tried to get a jump but it wont turn over please help me
Battery went low I tried to get a jump but it wont turn over. Do you mean it cranks and refuses to start or won't crank at all.

Lets assumed it cranks and won't start -Do below

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing.

Fuel pump and Injector/s checks out-start checking the ignition system-power to coil, coil/s itself, distributor pick-up, control module, Cam and Crankshaft sensors.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time

If it won't crank at all-Get the battery load tested and go from there thru the ignition switch to the starter.
Are you sure the starter is working properly?
BOöN
How would I check?
I am confused about your description. You mentioned that the engine starts off slow but if you push on the gas, it slowly goes faster and faster. But you mentioned it doesn't start.

By saying the it goes faster and faster, do you mean the engine is trying harder to start? AS far as the starter itself, my question pertains to is it working.

I'm sorry, it gets a little confusing with these when I'm not there to actually hear it.

BOöN
Little updarte:

Took battery in for a check they said It was a bad battery so they replaced it. When I put the new battery in it still continued to make the sound.

And yes : My apolgies what I ment to say was when I press down on the gas the car begins to work harder and harder to start but yes it does not actually start.

Im beggning to think it is the starter now as well.

I took it to the local mechanic but He doesnt think it's the starter. But he says that there also nothing else it could be.
LUVRFAMLE
  • 2000 DODGE DURANGO
I have a 00 dodge durango. I replaced on battery cable connector because the car wasnt getting a good connection. Started right up. Then I decided to replace the other (red) one because it got stripped trying to clean it off other day. Well I replaced it and now the car wont start. Does any one know what could be happening. Also I drove it and the positive cable kept coming off that is another reason I changed it. It tries to start but cant. Please help