I KEEP GETTING A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT COMING ON

• flattop1
  • 2000 Dodge Dakota

Always says check to see if gas cap is on tight or there maybe a vacuum leak. This is the 3rd time in the last 18 months and I have replaced cap twice. My mechanic cannot determine where the vacuum leak is and also do you check for one. I'm trying to keep from taking it the dealer ship. Also vehicle runs fine.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 9:29 PM

• promechanic
  • 551 posts

You need to find a mechanic that has a "smoke machine" this is a machine that can introduce smoke into the system which will then leak out wherever the leak is.
You might also have a purge solenoid that has gone bad. This is sometimes that cause of your problem.

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM
  • cadieman

Ck the dealer for bullitins to

Tuesday, May 8th, 2012 AT 10:06 PM
  • tedwright

Look under the truck at the Charchol Canister it has a few vaccume lines coming and going and that is sensitive if any are dry rotted it will cause a leak in the fuel pressure system and throw a MIL light

Sunday, August 5th, 2012 AT 5:24 AM
  • Norcal

I had the same thing in my 99 sport. I checked the char can and noticed I had a crack on the housing for my gas tank that wasn't very big but after throwing some epoxy on it. FIXED. Moral of story. Look around the canister and gas tank housing for any cracks. Mine was only about an inch big.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 8:34 PM