Fuse Box Diagram

TOBYWILK
  • 2000 DODGE CARAVAN

Electrical problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

Hey guys,
I have a Grand Caravan. My wife had been using the van and had parked between errands for about 30 minutes and came back out to find that the van would not start. I came home and began to review the situation. With the driver side door open and no keys in the ignition, Relay 13 in the under dash junction box was clicking constantly. Putting the keys in the ignition did not help. Once the key is turned to the start position, nothing happens. With the key set in the on position but not continuing to the start position first, the clicking continues and there are no dash lights, gauges, radio, HVAC CTRL, dome light, head lights, turn signals, horn, etc. The oil indicator is about the only dash light that is on when the key is in the on position ( it is dull like not enough power). The temp and fuel gauge seem to register for about a second with the key turned to the on position and then settle back to baseline. As analysis went on, the problem got worse. The relay started making more of a buzzing/whining noise. When I pulled it, two relays in the under hood PDC started clicking. They were the Low beam relay and park lamp relay. Pulling either one did not stop the other from chattering. Sometimes all three relays would be clicking. If I put the key to the start position and let it settle back to the run position, all clicking stops until I turn the key to the on or off position. If I press the brake pedal, all clicking stops. It starts immediately upon letting off the brake again. The interior light seems to be on sometimes but always dull. At one point (but only once) when I turned the key to the auxillary position (1/4 turn backward) everything internally seemed to get full power. The dome light came on bright, the radio and dash lit up, I heard the HVAC damper open, etc. Can anyone point me int he right direction to start fixing this?

Friday, October 9th, 2009 AT 11:32 PM

TOBYWILK

According to the under dash junction box diagram I have, Relay 13 is for the Courtesy Lamp.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/419732_Caravan_Junction_Box_diagram_1.jpg

I'm just getting back to work on the vehicle so I'll check the battery and cables today.

Here is a guide and some diagrams I found for the fuse box (below)

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

Check out below

Cheers!

Monday, October 12th, 2009 AT 9:25 AM
COFFEEWEASEL

Wow. You couldn't have written a better description of MY problem. I'll test the battery, the cables etc. Same relay #13, also, when I turn the key on or turn on a dome light the clicking stops. Really strange. This is an exact description of my problem. Battery and cables are fine. Could it be the ECM? This is an old thread, but some of us would like to drive our old vans.

Additional oddities, when the switch is off, no key in the ignition the relay is rattling. This rattle has slight changes in frequency. Turn the key to the "on" position and the gauges move up and down about 30 degrees in rhythm with the rattling.

-1
Thursday, February 27th, 2014 AT 2:08 PM
RK66209

I am having the same issue as well. The last relay on the right just above the fuses makes a fast clicking sound when the key is not in the ignition. If I just keep this relay out, will the van still operate fine with the exception of whatever it controls (courtesy lamp?)? Something just keeps draining the battery, and the battery and the alternator test OK. Has anyone gotten any resolution? Thanks for your help.

Monday, May 9th, 2016 AT 7:32 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Hey All,

Here are the fuse panel locations and description layouts for you caravan.

I have also included the wiring diagrams to show you what all is connected to each fuse.

Check the condition of the battery cables and connections. Clean them if necessary. It also seems that you may have an open in the ignition switch, which explains the lack of cranking and no lights with the key in the "on" position.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

+1
Wednesday, January 4th, 2017 AT 10:17 AM