2000 Chevrolet Silverado four wheel drive problem

ODIE0716
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
When I push the 4hi button it doesn't stay lit, it just blinks and doesn't engage. When I push 4lo it clunks like its going in but the indicator light keeps blinking and I don't think its going in to 4lo.
Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 AT 5:03 PM

TY ANDERSON
We see this often.
Typically what happens is usually the encoder motor that shifts gears inside the transfer case is faulty. But this is just what I've seen in the past.

A few susgestions would be to get all four wheels off the ground and support on jack stands. Shift the transfer case and see if all four wheels spin.

Unplug the electrical connector to the transfer case shift motor and look for any corroded terminals in the connector.

If your mechanically inclined. You could remove the transfer case shift motor and move the shift fork on the transfer case to see if the issue is the transfer case itself. Do this with the wheels off the ground because you may need to move the wheels/drive line to allow the shift fork to move.

Try these test/checks and get back to me or if you have any more questions feel free to reply
+1
Tuesday, December 10th, 2013 AT 5:50 PM
ODIE0716
Thanks Ty. I figured out that the 4lo is working, but it just does not engage in 4hi. So I was wondering if you thought it could be something as simple as the transfer case vacuum switch? I was told that it could be one that one the vacuum lines to the 4hi could be clogged or even broken?
+1
Thursday, December 12th, 2013 AT 3:23 PM
TY ANDERSON
The transfer case control module (computer) controls all aspects of transfer case operation.
When the driver selects one of the transfer case modes a signal it sent to the computer and the computer sends the command to the transfer case encoder motor to shift to the appropriate gear. There are no vacuum lines running to the transfer case. (There is a rubber vent hose so don't confuse it for vacuum) Most modern transfer cases are now all electronically controlled.
Typically the issue is the encoder motor for one reason is it worked more than any other component.
My bet is on the encode motor assembly.
Thursday, December 12th, 2013 AT 7:59 PM