• chillwillatx
  • 2006 Chevrolet Silverado

2006 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 80000 miles

When engaging the 4 wheel low there are loud poping noises. This noise sounds more like a clanking of objects together. Imagine that you are knocking on a piece metal, this is the sound that occures. The noise is repeditive and occurs about 3 times before the system engagues back into the previous gear selected. If you were in 4WH then you go back into 4WH, and same for 2WH. I have tried to engauge 4WL from 4WH & 2WH both; in neutral, in gear moving slowly, & in reverse. I have not owned a electronic 4 wheel transfer case before and need some advise. I do not believe the switch is bad because you can hear the soleniod operating on all 3 selections of gears & all the lights do work on the dash gauge selection. 4 wheel high works properly and the truck engauges in and out of 2WH AND 4WH fine. What could the problem be? A soleniod, an actuator, Ive heard of an encoder moder?, Or did I get a bad transfer case?

Monday, February 1st, 2010 AT 2:31 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Have you checked to make sure the front u-joints are good? Also, when shifting to 4lo, many times it is common to hear a clunk. You are changing the gears in the transfer case and they can make noise. That can also happen from lo to high.

Let me know about the u-joints. IF they seem good, you may want to have the 4wd actuator on the transfer case checked. It may be hanging up and slow to shift.

Sunday, February 7th, 2010 AT 11:13 PM