1999 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE

• cockpit4hire
  • 1999 Pontiac Bonneville
  • automatic

Car will stall in mid driving regardless of speed or position. She used to start right back after placed in park and ignition key turn off and back on. Now takes up to half an hour wait to re-start.
Here is the strange part: Engine will crank-up but the electric fuel pump is not working and neither are the windows. All other (that I know off) electric items works including headlights, inside light, radio etc. Once the windows start to work I know I can crank her up and she will go. This used to happened 1-3 times a week regardless of how long was driven. Now it is twice a day.

Monday, April 18th, 2011 AT 11:49 PM

• PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

There is a splice pack that contains numerous ground wires that is located under the drivers side carpet, up close to kick panel, If your losing both windows and pump operation check this for corroded ground wires, I have repaired several Lesabres for the same problem, and the bonnes have the same splice pack.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 12:04 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

This is a pic of the splice pack, it is labeled SP340 on the [pic, pull the carpet up on the drivers side and you will see it, there will be a bunch of black wires running into long plastic block, If I suspect right there will be a bunch of green corrosion all over the splice pack, clean and repair as needed.

+1
Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 12:19 AM
  • cockpit4hire

Thank you man!

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 12:23 AM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

No problem, let me know how you do.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 12:34 AM
  • cockpit4hire

Well. This wasn t it.
The wires were all OK dry and clean. What else can it be? Please also note that while there is no power to the fuel pump and windows the rear defrosts little light on the little button goes on and the electric lucking doesn t work. However this car lucks the door while in drive and opens them while in park pressing the break and moving from D to P and vice versa will open and close the doors. Not manually (pressing the switch) but automatically is there a relay that gets hot or something? Hope it is not the computer.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 8:09 PM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

I was sure that would be the problem, while the car is running did you wiggle and move the splice pack around to see if would stall or make the problems appear? I believe this is a ground problem, check the main ground for that splice pack, it is located behind the drivers side kick panel, let me know, we will work through this.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 9:25 PM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

Power locks, windows, fuel pump all share a ground from that splice pack, that is why I gotta believe this is going to boil down to a ground issue.

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 9:30 PM
  • cockpit4hire

I did move and pulled it around while the car was running. I appreciate the dedicated help! I will work on it again tomorrow.
Thanks!

Tuesday, April 19th, 2011 AT 9:42 PM
  • cockpit4hire

Nothing doing. Opened the whole side carpet pulled and shook the whole harness and than even wire by wire and the engine did not stop, it did stop 5 minutes later but restarted again with no issue. I repeated the above and didn t encountered any problem.
The side symptoms changes. The little light on the rear defrost button used to stay on (when the ignition key in power position) as long as it took to get her back to life and when the light went off I knew engine will start. Now the light goes off after two second (with a click of a relay at the background) but the engine will not start. I know when the engine will start again because I keep trying the windows, and when the window works she will start.
Also: This stall problem have no effect by weather of bumps.

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 AT 4:00 PM
  • PROTECH1980
  • 928 posts

Did you check the ground under the driver side kick panel, near the parking brake, take that plastic cover off, there will be a ground bolted to the body of the car, also you need to open that long black box that contains all the grounds and inspect each little black wire, im sorry if I sound like a broken record, but I gotta believe the [problem is there, every compontent that is acting up, even rear defrost, get there ground from that splice pack, they do not share a common power, so that eliminates a power issue, but the thing that they have in common is that ground, This is a known problem, it is all over the tech nets, and I have personally seen this problem on countless Lesabres which is the same body code.

Wednesday, April 20th, 2011 AT 9:20 PM