It wont stay running

T.FRIDAY
  • 1999 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
It will crank but wont stay running. I have changed the fuel filter and it acted like that fixed it. I drove it about 5 or 6 miles, and it just cut off. So I changed the fuel filter again. Now it crank but wont run. Changed the fuel relay, put more gas in and nothing changed. It is getting 50lbs. Of fuel pressure. So I dont think it is the fuel pump. Any ideas?
Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 8:50 PM

CADIEMAN
If u spray it will it start?
-1
Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 8:55 PM
T.FRIDAY
I will have to get some ether
Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 8:58 PM
T.FRIDAY
The car starts just fine. It just wont stay running. I can make it run for about a minute or so giving it gas, but it sounds awful and black smoke coming out of the back
-1
Saturday, March 17th, 2012 AT 9:03 PM
CADIEMAN
Sounds like a MAF sensor, check for trouble codes
Sunday, March 18th, 2012 AT 6:33 PM
T.FRIDAY
If you would actually read what I posted you would kno that I'm getting 50psi!
Sunday, March 18th, 2012 AT 7:50 PM
AMY DEWITTE
Bonnevills has a recall on a Fuel Pressure Regualtor. Get your vin# (last 8 #'s and letters) and call pontiac. They will fix for free.
Saturday, March 31st, 2012 AT 4:09 PM
DJCL
How is it going. Did you get it running
Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 12:36 PM
T.FRIDAY
Yep. Mass air flow sensor
Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 3:26 PM
DJCL
Good to hear its fixed
Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 4:05 PM
CADIEMAN
Glad to hear. We will be here.
Sunday, April 1st, 2012 AT 5:42 PM
RICHARD NEUMANN
  • 1999 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
Car will stay running for about 10 minutes then die, we have replaced the fuel sock, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, idle air value, crank shaft sensor, egr value, throttle positioning sensor, and map air flow sensor. Car was running fine until this happen. Check engine light is not on. Only code that comes up is random miss fire. Vehicle is a late 1999 model. Sometimes will come up as a 2000. Any help or suggestions would be wonderful.
Monday, November 5th, 2018 AT 7:06 PM (Merged)
Does it start back up without a problem or is it refusing at times-
RICHARD NEUMANN
It starts right back up without a problem.
Check the fuel pressure fuel pump could be failing when it heats up it breaks-then it repeats when cool for a bit-
RICHARD NEUMANN
Will try will let you know if it works thanks
RIVERMIKERAT
Any word on this yet Richard? If not, try checking fuel pressure and spark when the problem occurs.
LKUCKS50
  • 1999 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
Have been having a on again off again problem with the car dieing while I'm driving down the interstate or maybe even when im at an initial start up from a stop. The engine will die just like someone turned the ignition off. I can coast off to the side of the road and put it in neutral and it might start right back up or it may have to set and wait for anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. This problem might happen on an every day basis or it might go two weeks before it happens again. Have had it in to the shop and of course they cant get to act up while there. They had a code saying the fuel pump was bad, so they replaced it but didnt fix the problem. The last couple of weeks it has started to act a little different before it dies. Now, it will start to hesitate and loose speed before it dies. If, I try to give it more gas I can keep it running but loose speed and it spits and sputters untill I let off the accelerator then it dies instantly. Have considered the crank sensor and the Mass airflow sensor as potential culprits, please help!
IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you please tell me if your model is a SE, SLE, SSE, SSEi. Also your engine size in liter and the 8th digit of your VIN.

Please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.

We need to figure out if it is electrical or fuel related. Pull a plug wire off of the spark plug and insert something into the end of it and have someone try to start the car and have the metal object really close to a piece of metal on the engine and see if you are getting a good strong popping blue spark. Don't have your hands on any part of the metal! If there is no spark, then it is electrical.

If you are getting good spark then spray some starting fluid in the throttle body and try to start it and see if it tries to start then.
RICHARD NEUMANN
With fuel pressure gauge tester, pressure was about 42, but when I tap on mass air flow sensor car died right away. Think car has about two problems. Maybe fuel injectors?
RIVERMIKERAT
It sounds like either the mass airflow sensor is either faulty or improperly plugged in(loose wires or connectors).

42 PSI sounds like it's in the ballpark.

Check the wiring from the coil(s) to the ECU and grounds.