How can one replace the heater core without messing with the A/C?

ROLLABOOG
  • 1999 DODGE DAKOTA
I am about to replace the heater core in my 1999 Dakota Sport v6. I am confident in most of the process except for a few things. Is it possible to replace the heater core without messing with the a/c? If so, how does one do so? And if that is not possible, then what is one to do to ensure the a/c will function properly after a heater core replacement?
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 6:03 AM

You can't as you have to pull the heater box out of the truck to disassemble it. I'm including a tip so you don't run into other trouble.
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 1:36 PM
ROLLABOOG
Thank you very much for the help. I was reading that something needs to be done with the A/C refrigerant and the evaporator. Will this require me to recharge my A/C or anything like that?
-1
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 6:38 PM
Yes you'll have to recharge youra/c. If you planon doing this yourself youmight go to a shop who can evacuate the system and ask if theywil recharge it after you are finished. That is to keep the cost down on new freon as they will store yours.
Thursday, September 29th, 2011 AT 6:47 PM
ROLLABOOG
Ok so just got everything put together but for some reason one of the things on the outside of the ac/heatercore housing is not functioning. It has two hoses connecting to it. A brown hose and a red hose and they are together side by side and I have tried both positions of the hose how they would fit on the vacuum-like mechanism. It has an arm going from it to the middle of the housing and make one slot open while one closes. It seems like it distinguishes where the air flow goes in the dash but it is not functioning. Immediate help would be great I have everything set to go and it is just this little thing that is holding me up. Thanks. I have attached an I age to show you which part I am talking about. The hose about it is for climate control with a cable running through it. You can see the two hoses that hook up to it if you look very closely.
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 7:24 PM
That is for your panel/defrost selection i'm sending a chart along. If the actuator is marked red goes to the "f" terminal. It may be hard to see on the thumbnail. Make sure you are plugged in an dgetting vacuum to the control switch your main line may be off
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 10:33 PM
Oh make sure the rod going in the hvac unit is connected to.
Saturday, October 8th, 2011 AT 10:33 PM