1999 Chevrolet Malibu Coolant Leak

BRANDON95
  • 1999 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My coolant light was on so I went to buy some coolant and put it in and the light went off but a couple days later the light came back on so I check the coolant and it was all gone! I'm thinking there is a leak and I hope its not too serious because I have to travel this weekend for work and I'm scared that it will over heat! So do I keep coolant with me at all times! And the heat doesn't work all that is blowing is cold air!
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 10:24 AM

JOHNNYT73
You definitely have a coolant leak somewhere. These motors are very common to leak at the intake manifold gasket, but take the car to she a shop and have them pressure test it to see where the leak is. Also if you have it fixed be sure you have heat out the vents at idle. They can be a bear at times to bleed all the air out of the system.
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 10:43 AM
BRANDON95
Do you think I will be okay to drive 2 hours if I put some coolant in and bring some with me! This weekend as I'm super busy with work! Because other then that it seem too be running fine its not over heating but the temperate gauge is over half but as soon as I put coolant in it goes back to normal and the heat works.

Thanks Brandon
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 10:48 AM
JOHNNYT73
I think you will be ok. Just be sure to keep it as full as you can with fluid.
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 10:52 AM
BRANDON95
Alright awesome thanks so much! Very Helpful
Tuesday, November 25th, 2014 AT 10:53 AM