ENGINE DIES WHILE WAITING FOR TRAFFIC LIGHT

1998 Honda Civic

yyshen

June, 28, 2012 AT 7:22 PM

Hi,

I have a 98 honda civic. This morning on my way to work, while waiting at a traffic light, engine just turned off by itself. I couldn't restart it right after; had to push it to the curb. But only after a few minutes, I could start it, then I drove to work (trip from home to work is only 5 miles) Now I recall something unusual happened earlier when I was driving, RPM suddenly went up and then dropped right away, while my foot was as usual on the gas pedal.

What could be the problem? Do I need to take it to the mechanics ASAP?

Thanks!

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

saturntech9

June, 28, 2012 AT 7:36 PM

First thing you need to do is have the comouter scanned for codes. Post the exact code numbers not code descriptions.

June, 28, 2012 AT 7:54 PM

You should get it checked asap but then again this being an intermittent problem you might not find anything. If there are no trouble codes, it is going to be a problem tracking the cause unless the problem resurfaces again.

There are many possibilities for it to occur and it could be ignition switch, fuel pump, its relay or engine control.

yyshen

June, 30, 2012 AT 3:04 PM

Hi, saturntech9, thanks for your reply. But the engine light is not on. I went to autozone, and they wouldn't scan my car.

The problem has become more often. RPM just dropped to zero while driving (2 times in a short trip), but if I keep pushing the gas pedal, it would come up again.

If it is like KHLow2008 said, it could be difficult to track the cause, where should I start first?

Thanks for all your kind help!

saturntech9

June, 30, 2012 AT 3:11 PM

Thats why I suggested having the codes read with the light on or not that would be your best bet to maybe get a lead as to what is going on.

June, 30, 2012 AT 3:55 PM

Start with the PGM-FI main relay, ignition switch.

When it could not restart, check what is missing.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

saturntech9

June, 30, 2012 AT 5:33 PM

I just caught the wouldnt start right away after it dies when it doesnt start aftmer it dies take khlow2008's advice and see whats missing I would check for spark first easiest thing to check.