Stalling while driving

AAAPLOP
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 98 honda civic ex. Its 4 cyl 1.6L and when ever it gets below half a tank of gas as im driving it will sometimes stall. It is an automatic. I asked a few people and they seem to think it may be the fuel pump or the fuel filter that need to be replaced. Do you know what may be causing this?
Thursday, June 6th, 2013 AT 2:54 PM

You need to remove the fuel pump and check the sock that is attached to the pump. It may be plugged.

This guide will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/engine-stalls

I have seen the distributor cause this issue, check for rust colored dust inside the cap this is a sign its gone bad.

Thursday, June 6th, 2013 AT 3:40 PM
THISISSAL67
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
I've replaced the alternator, battery, fuel filter, cap and rotor, and distributor that fixed the problem cost me $143.00 from Amazon
Wednesday, June 12th, 2019 AT 5:14 PM (Merged)
RIVERMIKERAT
Nice work :) I did that to my car and it still stalls?
KHLOW2008
When does it stall, while cruising or only when slowing down or stopped?
Are you able to restart easily?
Does dash indicator lights comes on immediately when engine stalled?
+3
THISISSAL67
Typically it stalls when slowing down or stopped at a stop light. Although it has turned off while accelerating before, but thats less common. Restarting is usually not very hard if I give it a little gas. No lights come on the whole entire car shuts off.
KHLOW2008
This usually indicates poor idling and the most common cause is a dirty throttle body and IAC. Have them cleaned and retest.
ELIZEB
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
My car dies periodically (twice a week). It has died when I stopped or slowed down and when I am driving along. There doesn't appear to be any consistent time that it dies. It dies as though I have just turned off the key. There is no warning and no other symptoms. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the gas being blocked somehow. Like if there is something in the gas line that blocks the line and then floats around until it is blocked again. Any ideas?
Wednesday, June 12th, 2019 AT 5:15 PM (Merged)
KHLOW2008
Hi ElizeB,

Does the dash light comes on when the engine stallled?

If not, the ignition switch is faulty.
+1
ELIZEB
I have always restarted the car without noticing the dash light. I will have to pay attention to that in the future.

Also, I just installed a new fuel filter. Whether this had anything to do with the problem or not, the car is running much more smoothly now. I'll have to wait and see if it stalls again.
Thank you for your help.
ElizeB.
KHLOW2008
The fuel filter can cause performance issues but it would not cause the engine to stall unless it is very badly clogged or is leaking.

If the stalling is only when slowing down or stopped, then it could be the idling system that requires attention.
ELIZEB
The stalling was anytime. Whether I was accelerating or coming to a stop or idling, stopped at a light. That's what has been puzzling, there was no particular time that it would do this. It has not done this since I installed the fuel filter just a couple of days ago, so I'm waiting to see if it will do it again and whether the dash light goes on. For now, all I can do is wait and see what happens next. Thanks.
AMYCROSS333
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
New muffler was put on a few weeks ago - but not welded on. Clamped. It rattles like mad. Was just wondering if that has a connection to my problem. Just this morning when driving to work - car idle at long stop light. Seems like car was going to die out. Was leaving it in neutral and drive, neutral and drive - so it would die out. Finally got going so car never died out.
(Overall seems like in good condition, but when a/c is on and at idle position sounds like it will die out also and sounds like it trying to cycle or something. But I just turn off a/c when that happens. A/c belt changed already.) Too. But thats not the problem I was initially worried about.
Don't want car to die out when idle at stop light in future. Can muffler (or parts near it/catalic converter or whatver) be the problem. Or is it an engine problem?
ELIZEB
It has been awhile since I installed the new fuel filter and it seemed to be running more smoothly and not dieing.

But now that's changed. It died about twice a week and now, today, it died about 10 times. It had been a while since it died so I was shocked and forgot to see if the light went on. But here's the news: Now when I try to start it back up, I have to try a few times before it starts. It doesn't crank over and over, it just seems like it's going to start and then doesn't and I have to try it again. Then it starts and runs fine. You mentioned the ignition switch and it seems to me you must be right since it doesn't want to start with the first try now. Can you tell me what I would tell a mechanic? I have a very low budget and that's why I didn't go to a shop and spend $100 for a diagnosis and was waiting to see what developed so I could be more sure about the problem. Thanks for your expert assistance.
FREEMBA
The muffler is not the problem with your vehicle nearly stalling.
You do need to call the shop that installes the muffler and tell them of the rattling noise it is causing. If they can't/won't fix it (for FREE) check it for a loose hanger (part which attaches the muffler/tailpipe to the frame of the vehicle).

Near stalling problem:
Check underhood for loose vacuum hoses.
Also, remove the intake air snorkle and clean the throttle body with carb/throttle body cleaner and a rag.
RAYTORRES2014
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
I have a 98 civic manual. My car seems to shake and turn off on me when I shift gears. When I put it in neutral my car wont shut down on me. I also notice that when I turn on the AC it starts to shake even if it is in neutral and it shuts down on me. When my car sits it doesn't seem to have the problem until I drive it for a while.
Check and if needed, replace the idle air control valve (IAC). It is responsible for maintaining the engine idle speed and increasing it when there is a load on the engine such as the AC. If the IAC is working properly, check for vacuum leaks and make sure the fuel pump pressure is within the manufacturer's specs.
LSEACIS
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
I was driving my car when it shut off on the highway. I replaced the fuel filter and put more gas in the car and drove home. As I hit a high hill on the highway after leaving the shop it cut off. It turned on and ran ok, but Im not sure if there is another underlining issue. Could there be another issue?
KHLOW2008
Hi lseacis,

Yes, there could be something else wrong. I woudl suggest checking the main relay, ignition switch and wire connectors.
WINGEDWOLF
  • 1998 HONDA CIVIC
I just got my car back from the shop after having the muffler replaced. The tailpipe coming out of the muffler had a failed weld that caused it to be extremely noisy, but since it seemed more of a nuisance than a critical problem, I didn't have it fixed for 4-5 months. A few weeks ago, we started having a problem with the engine stalling every once in a while, and I just chalked it up to the engine not being able to exhaust properly. Since then, the problem has gotten increasingly worse and frequent, to the point where it will now stall at least 5-6 times in a 30 minute drive. The car only stalls when the clutch is depressed, not when the engine is idling, or under load. Any ideas what this might be? I'd like to try and get the problem as pinned down as I can so that I know what to ask for when I take it in, due to the fact that I don't have a whole lot of money for the repair and the diagnosis. Thanks a lot!
KHLOW2008
Hi wingedwolf,

Thank you for the donation.

Generally there are 2 possible cause for the engine to stall when the clutch is depressed.

1. Bad clutch throwout bearing. Is there any abnormal noise or rough feeling ( from foot on clutch pedal) when the clutch is depressed? If yes, then the clutch throwout bearing is bad and the transmission has to be taken out to replace it.

2. Excessive side thrust of crankshaft. This is due to wear of the crankshaft or thrust key and when the clutch is depressed, the crankshaft is pushed forward causing strain on the connecting rods and idling unstability, resulting in stalling.

Other possible causes would be something is be affected by the clutch movement. Check the pedal or shift fork to see if their movement are affecting anything, especially wireharness.

Is the Check Engine Light indicating?

Sponsored links