S-10 Power Loss?

CRIMSONTIDEFAN
  • 1998 CHEVROLET S-10
I drive a 1998 Chevrolet S-10 and all of a sudden like I heard a loud squealing noise coming out from under the front of the vehicle. I've had a tremendous loss in power and find it very difficult even with the throttle wide open to gain any speed at all. More so, when going up hills or mountains. I usually try to have as much speed as possible before starting to climb a hill/mountain bc usually by the time I get to the top I've already shifted down through the gears with the throttle wide open. Once I top the hill/mountain its like a new vehicle going down with no trouble at all gaining speed quickly. The following codes: P0420, P0440, P1133, & P1404 have shown up. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 6:27 PM

CRIMSONTIDEFAN
Need to add that squealing gets louder the more the rpm's increase/throttle I give it. Cranks right up no problem & runs fine while idling with very slight uneasiness.
+2
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 6:40 PM
The squealing leads me to believe something has locked up and the belt is slipping (which could cause a power loss), so check that all accessories are turning when the engine is running. Always protect your eyes in case something breaks. Next, the PO420 deals with catalytic converter. Check to make sure it is not plugged. That will cause a huge power loss. The PO440 is an evap code. I don't think that has anything to do with a power loss. However, you should have the evap system fogged to determine where there is a leak. The PO1133 is a code for the heated O2 sensor. The interesting thing about this is it could have set the PO420. Last, the PO1404 is dealing with the EGR (closed pintle position).

So where do we start. First, remove the EGR and clean all carbon from the valve itself and make sure the ports in the intake that where it bolts are open and not clogged with carbon. See if that makes a difference in power. Next, you need a scanner that will read live information. You need to check the O2 sensors while they are working. They should show between.35 volts and.55 volts. If they are beyond that in either direction, they need replaced. If they are good, then the catalytic converter is most likely bad. You can try disconnecting the cat to see if the power is restored. If it is, the converter is spent. It will be a loud ride to test, but if you have no scanner, that is one way to check.
-1
Tuesday, January 18th, 2011 AT 9:03 PM
CRIMSONTIDEFAN
Most of the info you have given me is exactly what my older cousin and I thought when I let him test drive it and I rode alongside this afternoon. At first, the sudden like squealing noise led us to believe a vaccuum hose for the fuel system was leaking and driving caused increased pressure making it get louder. Also, I initially thought it was coming from the left front quarter panel due to having the windows up going down the road and not being able to pinpoint exactly where the noise was coming from, but yesterday I got out with the truck still idling and used a pole to reach up and rev the engine while I laid down on the ground to look underneath and that is how I determined it was not the side quarter panel. Instead, it was the exhaust itself. Sorry this is so long I get to ramblin' and don't get straight to the point. Although, I am getting there. So, please bare with me.
To make this shorter. My catalytic converter has been rattling for a year or more due to the catalytic material broken up inside the converter, but I didn't mind the noise knowing a new converter wasn't cheap having had it replaced already 4 or 5yrs. Ago. We figured some of the lose material all of a sudden plugged the hole allowing no escape for the spent fuel. We also figured the squealing noise was coming from a leak I noticed in the actual header pipe and since the exhaust pipe is more than likely plugged by material pressure is building up between the exhaust manifold and the converter as I give it more throttle the exhaust is being forced out of the small leakage area. The more throttle the louder the noise. We are also thinking this could be tricking the computer to thinking the EGR valve is bad when its really just the back pressure in the pipe. Glad to see that you are thinkin' the same thing. Three heads are better than one. My cousin has worked on race cars all his life so that helped as well. Also, wouldn't it be burning a he! Of a lot of fuel as well bc my gas gauge has went down a half a tank or more in three days with only around 100 miles since last fill up. I'm going to let it sit until Saturday now that we all have a good idea at what it could be. Going to unbolt the head pipe from the converter and tie it and the rest of the pipe up out of the way and run it to see what happens. Hopefully, thats it. I'll keep you updated. Your info was/is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-1
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 2:43 AM
It sounds like you found it. A couple ideas for you to keep in mind. First, if by any chance you still have the receipt for the converter you purchased, call the parts store. Often times they come with a 5 year 50K mileage warranty. You may get lucky and it may be free to replace. Next, when you remove the converter, check to make sure it didn't plug up the muffler. It happens often. Also, if you are removing the Y pipe, you have to remove both sides for it to move. If you plan to remove the exhaust manifold, be careful not to break any bolts. Spray them with penetrating oil a few times and let them sit so it can work. You don't want to break one. If you spray them, clean the manifold off with brake cleaner to get all the lubericant off before running the engine again.

See, I can be wordy too. Sorry mine is so long. I look forward to hearing what you find.
-1
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 3:22 AM
PS: Don't worry about the post being too long. I need to hear everything.
-1
Wednesday, January 19th, 2011 AT 3:23 AM