1997 SUBURBAN WON'T GO INTO 4 WHEEL DRIVE

• snkpool
  • 1997 Chevrolet Suburban
  • automatic

1997 Chev suburban won't go into 4 wheel drive. I have replaced actuator and transfer case switch, but it still won't work. I do have power at both actuator and switch, and the fuse is fine. What do I try next?

Monday, December 27th, 2010 AT 6:38 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Remove the actuator and see if it will work out of the transfercase. If you have power to it, either something in the transfer case is bad or the actuator is on a bind of some sort when you install it.

Let me know what you find.

Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 2:30 AM
  • snkpool

Okay, will try that in the morning. What about the front axle engagement switch? Know anything about that? All three wires going into it are frayed. I took it out, and checked for power, and it does receive power when I place the 'burb into 4 wheel drive.

Seems to be a rare part, but have found a couple of places online that have it.

Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 3:06 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

That could be the issue too. Even if the transfer case is shifting properly, if the axle doesn't engage, you won't have 4wd. Are you getting 12v to it?

Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 AT 6:04 AM