CAR WILL NOT START AFTER FRONT END COLLISION, AIR BAGS WERE DEPLOYED

• clwillia
  • 1996 Honda Accord

My son bumped a car in the parking lot, can't see any damage to his car, dent about the size of a baseball in the other car. Air bags went off which suprised me because he didn't hit the car that hard. Anyway, airbags and SRS module have been replaced, engine cranks, will not start and shifter is locked in park. Have to use the shift lock next to the gear shift to get it into neutral.

is there a inertia switch that cuts off fuel? Am I missing something?

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 5:54 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

Check to see if you are getting spark and fuel to the engine to determine where you need to focus. Make sure the brake lights are working for the park lock solenoid. That is where the power comes from to release from park.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 5:57 PM
  • KHLow2008

No inertia switch are used. You could hae a blown fuse underhood.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 6:05 PM
  • clwillia

Brake lights are working, I have spark, but apparently no fuel. Fuses are all good.

Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 6:09 PM
  • KHLow2008

The interlock system requires the brake lights to be working to energise the solenoid to release the shift lever.

With ignition switch turned on, note if there is a clicking noise when brake pedal is depressed and released.

Are the gauges and horn working?

+1
Sunday, August 12th, 2012 AT 8:02 PM
  • jco354

I was involved in a minor accident a few days ago. Same thing happened to my 96 civic. Both bags deployed, car wont start, and the shifter is stuck in park.
Clwillia, How did you resolve these issues? I understand that I will need to replace both bags and the module.
But how do I get the shifter to release from park?
And what did you do to get the car to start? Mine turns over but wont start.
Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is my daughters car and I need to get it fixed for her.

Saturday, December 7th, 2013 AT 2:33 PM
  • clwillia

Sorry to hear about your troubles. We eventually found 2 bad fuses in the drivers side kick panel. I believe they were the two far right fuses on the first and second row.

We actually had to pull every fuse and test them with an Ohm meter to see which ones were bad. Once I replaced those 2 fuses, the control module, clock spring and the 2 air bags, car ran fine. It's still on the road today.

Total cost of my repair was about $150.

Saturday, December 7th, 2013 AT 3:48 PM