WHAT WOULD CAUSE WHITE SMOKE TO COME OUT OF MY EXHAUST

1995 Honda Civic

apac408

August, 18, 2012 AT 1:25 AM

I recently had to replace my engine when I replaced it I changed all belts, hoses, cleaned the surface of the head and the block, and put all news gaskets in. When I went to go start it up is was running fine and than a couple of minutes later it starting blowing white smoke out from the exhaust in thick clouds.

ImpalaSS

August, 18, 2012 AT 1:27 AM

White smoke is an indication of a blown head gasket or cracked head.

August, 18, 2012 AT 8:04 AM

Let the engine run for a while. It could be residual oil in the exhaust system and it might take a few days of running to get them cleared. In the meanwhile monitor the engine to see if you have coolant losses or overheating issues

August, 18, 2012 AT 8:06 AM

You mentioned replacing the engine, why did you have to remmove the head?

apac408

August, 18, 2012 AT 10:53 PM

I had to remove the head because I blew a hole threw my engine block. The connecting rod cracked off. A new thing I discovered is I took all of the spark plugs out and cranked the motor to see if any coolant would squirt out and nothing but I did notice that three off my spark plugs are covered with engine oil. Does this mean I have bad piston rings, o-rings, or a bad valve seal.

August, 18, 2012 AT 11:12 PM

I know you replaced the engine but why was the head from the new engine removed? Did'nt the engine come as a complete assy? Do you mean you only replace the short block?

Spark plugs covered with engine oil can be due to 2 things, bad plug seals under the valve cover or O'ring under the cam carriers.

apac408

August, 19, 2012 AT 3:48 AM

Yes I did mean that I replaced the short block and as far as the spark plugs you don't think it could be worn piston rings

August, 19, 2012 AT 6:52 AM

No, it is a problem at the head and is not the cause of the excessicve smoke. Have you been running the engine and is the smoke still there?

apac408

August, 19, 2012 AT 6:54 AM

I only ran the engine for about 30 minutes and shut it off cause it wouldn't stop smoking, was afraid that leaving it on would cause damage. Should I run it for a while

August, 19, 2012 AT 7:14 AM

Yes, let it run for a while longer to see if the smoke decreases. Ensure you ahve sufficient engine oil.

Were the valve seals replaced?

apac408

August, 19, 2012 AT 5:01 PM

No I didn't replace the valve seals

Replacing Head Gasket
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator