Drive Train Broke - Transfer Case or Transmission?

VT_FISHING
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Here it is. I have a 1995 K1500 Silverado. Was pulling my boat
(small/light boat) and a gate started to close as I was going through.
So I hit the gas to get through, then I heard a big clunk/break sound from the transmission or transfer case. Truck jumped completely out of gear and mph gauge was running between 10 - 15 mph when sitting still. When I put it in park there was a grinding from the drive train. Tried to put it back in gear (Drive) and it would not go in gear but the MPH gauge would go up to 10 - 15 mph. Returned to Park and the grinding sound again. So tried to put it in 4WD high and it went in gear, then put it back to 2WD and worked for a short time (20 sec. Tried to drive the truck and it made a huge clunking sound underneath, then jumped out of gear again, but MPH still going about 10 - 15 when out of gear and setting still. When I ran it for a short period of time I got up to 35 mph before it kicked out of gear. The transmission seemed to shift fine until it jumped out. Drained transfer case fluid and found numerous large flakes (larger than pepper) of metal shavings in the fluid. The transmission only has about 55,000 miles and the transfer case has 214,000. The fluid level was fine in both. Seems to me if the MPH is running and the trans shifts fine when it does move then is something messed up in the transfer case. Suggestions?
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 1:04 PM

DOCFIXIT
Suspect Forward clutch is siezing that will cause trans to turh in Neutral and park. Maybe fault in Pressure Switch Manifold. Check light on?
-1
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 2:48 PM
VT_FISHING
Unfortunately there is no light on indicating a problem or I could hook a computer to it. The trans doesn't turn in Park or Neutral, but does turn when in R, D, 3, 2, 1. This is indicated by the speedometer reading 10 - 15 even when sitting still, right? If I hit the gas the speedometer jumps to a higher speed. This happens when the transfer case/transmission will not engage or not be in gear.

Now by using the floor shifter 4WD Low, 2WD, 4WD High and can get it to engage in one of those, meaning when in any gear (other than neutral or park) the speedometer is reading 0, as it should. When I start to drive the truck there is a loud clunck associated with how fast the drive train is turn. So the cluncking speeds up as I go faster, and I mean loud cluncking like a barring completely missing and stuff really jumping around. After the initial break I only drove the truck about 1/4 mile and it would jump out of gear. Doesn't matter which gear I'm in. Hopefully this helps clarify what going on.
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 3:30 PM
DOCFIXIT
I'm clear on what to do and that is pull trans and repair
Wednesday, August 31st, 2011 AT 4:15 PM