Four wheel drive not working

SEAN0308
  • 1993 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Hi, on my K1500. My Four wheel drive is not working. If I put it in four low it does not light up and it does not engage. When you put it in four low the unit should turn orange in the front and I am getting nothing. Four hi does not work either. I read about the actuators going bad but I am not sure if this is what the problem is. I have not crawled up under their I just had surgery Wednesday. My dad actually told me it was not working. Is their a way to test this actuator? If so I would appreciate any help. I really do not want to put in a new crank case but if I have to I guess I will have to. I just want my Four wheel drive working again. Trying to get in my backyard is a pain. The truck just about sinks to the axle and then gets stuck. Thanks for any help. I will not be the one testing the actuator. I just had open inguinal hernia and I am in no shape to lay on my back or side to mess around with this. Thanks.
Sunday, June 25th, 2017 AT 8:42 PM

KEN

Yes two things go wrong with these cars, either the switch on the dash goes bad or the shift actuator. You can remove the actuator and then use the switch with the key on to see if it move the way it should.

Here is a diagram to help you get the job fixed.

Hope you feel better soon, my son just had that done as well. Hang in there and let me know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 AT 5:13 PM
SEAN0308
Hi thanks for the response. I have the actual floor shifter I don't know if this makes a difference. This is what it looks like in 4L. It partially engages. Yeah I am doing better I had an open hernia surgery. I don't know if your son had laparoscopic surgery or not. The open hernia surgery was terrible. But I hope he is doing well. I can't get to involved. But I will try my best. Thanks. Here is a picture of what I have for 4wd. The second picture was online but it is exactly the same thing. Thanks.
Thursday, June 29th, 2017 AT 6:02 PM
KEN

Yep sorry about that, it looks like something has gone wrong inside the transfer case. Here is an exploded view of the unit if you would like to take it apart to see whats going on. The fork slides usually wear out not allowing it to shift to 4L

Hope you feel better soon, my son recovered nicely so hang in there.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Friday, June 30th, 2017 AT 10:33 AM
SEAN0308
So just an update I took it to a friend of mine. He is a mechanic. Their was no power getting up to the actuator. He traced the wires back to the transfer case switch. Their was no power at all. He took the switch out and when he tested the switch it was giving weird readings. He had a probe and unhooked the actuator and it powered the actuator and it worked. The 4wd light up so he suggested the transfer case switch and also the actuator. So I got both. He put the switch in then put the actuator in. He got power to the actuator. But he had to use a ground on his meter because their was no ground getting to it. After he did that it showed 12 volts. He put everything together we started it and had no luck. So he cut one of the wires on the connector that connects to the actuator plug. And he grounded it out to one of the starter bolts. Now it works. We put the old switch back in and that was bad so we just put the new transfer case switch in and it worked. The old actuator might have been good but I just wanted to replace it since I already had it. I don't know if the ground is a problem on these trucks or not. But it works now. Thanks for all the help.
Monday, July 3rd, 2017 AT 11:13 PM
KEN
Nice work, we are here to help, please use 2CarPros anytime.

Cheers, Ken
+1
Tuesday, July 4th, 2017 AT 11:26 AM