1994 Toyota Corolla engine shuts off when running

USEDCARDEALER
  • 1994 TOYOTA COROLLA
During morning the engine works fine, but about 30 minuets of driving the engine automatically shuts off. When I restart it the engine won't work, but after about 10 minutes of standby the engine starts again but shuts off again after a few minutes.

What do you think is the problem, I already check the carb and the mechanic says it working just fine, they told me that the distributor was the problem, is this true?

Hope to hear from you soon, thanks.
Monday, April 7th, 2014 AT 9:14 PM

Seems to me you need to check the fuel pressure to rule out a failing fuel pump-Try this for a start
+1
Monday, April 7th, 2014 AT 11:22 PM
WRENCHTECH
Your car is fuel injected. It doesn't have a carb.

All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 AT 2:35 AM
WRENCHTECH
Double check your info because I don't even see a 1.5 available in that year.
+1
Tuesday, April 8th, 2014 AT 2:37 AM