1994 Mazda B2300 94 Mazda 2.3l starting problem

DAVEK24
  • 1994 MAZDA B2300
Just bought a 94 mazda b2300 2.3l with 220000mi. Has been running and starting. Have been checking codes for rough idle. Turned off and tried to restart. Just clicking from starter relay. Had starter checked at o'reilly and is ok. Re-installed starter and same result. Cleaned battery terminals and relay points of contact. Tried to jump relay and getting clicking from starter. Will not crank. Battery fully charged. Any suggestions. Appreciate any incites.
Friday, June 27th, 2014 AT 4:54 PM

If you only get a clicking from the starter when you turn the key, either you have a bad connection (battery, ground.) The relay is bad, the starter is bad, or the clutch safety switch is bad.
-1
Friday, June 27th, 2014 AT 8:32 PM
DAVEK24
Yeah.I will check it out tomorrow but think more towards the relay, had the starter checked twice and no prob. But have not checked on the clutch safety switch. By the way don't know how to check the switch but will look it up. Will also check the ground connections. Probably needs to addressed anyway. Thank You. Dave
+1
Friday, June 27th, 2014 AT 8:43 PM
Dave, the switch is easy to check. There should be power to it and nothing out until you depress the clutch.

Let me know what you find. Also, double check the ground to the engine block as well as the condition of the battery cables themselves.
-1
Friday, June 27th, 2014 AT 8:52 PM
DAVEK24
Thank You. This is why these sites exist. For us all to learn. Or if not think.
Friday, June 27th, 2014 AT 9:49 PM
I'm glad to help. Let me know what you find.
Saturday, June 28th, 2014 AT 6:35 PM
DAVEK24
After cleaning the battery connector wires with baking soda and white vinegar, cleaned and re tightened a few ground wires in the engine compartment and not only started up but is now running smoother and no longer throwing codes. Thank You for great suggestions. Dave
Sunday, June 29th, 2014 AT 6:13 AM
Great! Glad you got it going.

Let us know if you have questions in the future.

-1
Monday, June 30th, 2014 AT 9:06 PM
DAVEK24
Still not running right. Still having problems. Went to o'reillys and had the codes checked.P0440 with the emissions.I know that the spark plugs need to be replaced and ordered motorcraft sp432 plugs. Have new wires and the coils are OK. I am also trying to check the IAC but need to know the procedure to do so. The cat has been removed prior to me purchasing the vehicle. Just still not running right. Is there a way of checking IAC with an ohm meter or a different way. Driving me crazy. This is how it is. Need suggestions. Or do I need to check something else. If you fnd the time get back to me. Dave
Thursday, July 3rd, 2014 AT 9:11 PM
There is no catalytic converter? That can be an issue. The O2 sensors help the computer determine air/fuel ratio.
Friday, July 4th, 2014 AT 9:39 PM