WON'T START. IT WON'T TURN OVER NOR DOES IT MAKE ANY SOUND

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Swild007

August, 7, 2012 AT 4:12 AM

My 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start. It won't turn over nor does it make any sound while I try to start it. Do I need a new starter?

Well, I've had this vehicle for about two months and nothing but problems. The first round of it not starting: Replaced starter solenoid.

Second round : Replaced fuel filter. Third round : Replaced battery terminals. Fourth round : Replaced fuel pump. Now I'm on the fifth round with it not starting. It won't turn over or does it make any sound when I try starting it. A gentlemen at the gas station who first tried jumping me with no results suggested it's the starter. He got underneath my Jeep with a hammer and banged on it while I tried starting it, it started !

Do I need to replace the starter? I had the battery, alternator, and starter tested at Auto Zone with all three testing good. I'm really at my wits end with this thing and can't afford to keep dumping money into this pit. But I really need my vehicle to go to work and can't get a new one. Please help me! Any advice would be much appreciated.

saturntech9

August, 7, 2012 AT 4:28 AM

Theres a good chance its the starter if he hit it with a hammer and it started. Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Swild007

August, 7, 2012 AT 4:29 PM

Is a multimeter a voltage tester for the battery? If so, yes.I tested the battery today and it read at 13.47. My Jeep started today and re-started again after we did the test. Is it possible it could be a bad connection as far as battery wires to the starter? Thank you for replying so quickly, I really appreciate it.

saturntech9

August, 7, 2012 AT 9:57 PM

Usually when the starters get hot is when they fail and when they cool down they work. Also since it was hit with a hammer it may take a while to fail again. Yes you are correct its for testing voltage ohms etc. You need to test it when it fails make sure you have power to the small trigger wire at the starter when it wont start. That will rule out a lot of other things also make sure all the battery cable connections are clean and tight. Also have the battery tested to cover all yoyr bases.

Swild007

August, 8, 2012 AT 3:49 AM

Ok, thank you very much. I will do this and let you know how it works out.

saturntech9

August, 8, 2012 AT 3:55 AM

Alright keep me posted.

ravius

August, 16, 2012 AT 9:19 PM

I had a similar problem. It was a short in the wiring harness of the door triggering the anti-theft system on the alarm system. Evidently this causes all systems in the Jeep to shut down. You won't even get the starter to turn over. It took a dealership the better part of a day to trace it down after towing my Jeep there.I don't know which harness might be causing your problem but it was the on in my driver's door. Evidently this is also why sometimes the vehicle thinks a door is ajar.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right