1993 Ford Explorer to who it may corncern

SPLITPEA
  • 1993 FORD EXPLORER
I recently put 20.00 in gas when the problem started so I thought it was bad gas so I put in some water remover and proceeded to drive the gas out when I shut the truck off and went in a store and came out and tried to start it it turned over and stalled like it was out off gas and it had a half of tank so I let it sit for about 20 min the it started right up and continue to start up and run good for about a week I ran out all that gas and proceeded to put midgrade 89 it still was running good for 3 days when I drove for about 30 min shut it off and it did it again so its running good now but before it happens again I am trying to figure it out someone said it could be a fuel pump regulater
Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 AT 1:59 PM

WRENCHTECH
All "crank, no start" conditions are approached in the same way. Every engine requires certain functions to be able to run. Some of these functions rely on specific components to work and some components are part of more than one function so it is important to see the whole picture to be able to conclude anything about what may have failed. Also, these functions can ONLY be tested during the failure. Any other time and they will simply test good because the problem isn't present at the moment.
If you approach this in any other way, you are merely guessing and that only serves to replace unnecessary parts and wastes money.

Every engine requires spark, fuel and compression to run. That's what we have to look for.

These are the basics that need to be tested and will give us the info required to isolate a cause.

1) Test for spark at the plug end of the wire using a spark tester. If none found, check for power supply on the + terminal of the coil with the key on.

2) Test for injector pulse using a small bulb called a noid light. If none found, check for power supply at one side of the injector with the key on.

3) Use a fuel pressure gauge to test for correct fuel pressure, also noticing if the pressure holds when key is shut off.

Once you have determined which of these functions has dropped out,
you will know which system is having the problem.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 AT 4:29 PM