Turns over but won't start

TAMACHU
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 2000 ford explorer, that one morning I went to go to work and turned the key and the truck acted like it wanted to start but wasn't getting any fuel, I looked on the internet for possible causes and someone had said to try the spare key, well it started right up and then the supposed bad key works now too? What would be causing this to happen?
Wednesday, February 17th, 2010 AT 11:30 PM

This sounds like a security system glitch that got straighten out when you used the extra key. Let us know if you have any more problems.
+5
Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 1:34 PM
ELWAYGIRL72
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Car will not start some days. I have full power since all lights are one and radio just will not kick over. I will then jump the car and it will start right up. THis happend every day or sometimes it will not happen for 2 days. I have replaced the battery and had a dull tune up and replaced the fuel filter which was bad.
Saturday, December 8th, 2018 AT 5:34 PM (Merged)
Check this guide out.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

let us know
ELWAYGIRL72
Battery and alternator are fine. Battery replaced 2 months ago and had the alternator checked 2 times and it read fine.
Sorry!

Get a starting fluid/ether/better off gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 in away from ground have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor /distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, ECM, Ignitor camshaft and crankshaft sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
WILDREB
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
2000 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I park on an inlined driveway and most of the time it starts without a problem. However sometimes it will not start at all. It will turn over but will not start. Am concerned because while I am trying to start it I get a popping noise from the engine compartment. Sounds like a backfire from the front passenger side near the air filter. Have been unable to determine exact location. After a few dozen tries I can get it started and it won't have a problem for couple weeks. Happens mostly when cold but have had it happen in summer also. I have spark and fuel pressure and have recently changed out fuel filter and battery connections. Really need some help on this one. Any ideas?
Saturday, December 8th, 2018 AT 5:35 PM (Merged)
When was the last time you gave it a tune-up and what was the fuel pressure when you checked it we move from here.

Next time it refuses to start do below to determine if its fuel or spark issue

Get a starting fluid/ether/better off gas in a spray bottle and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors- Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it
JOHNVB10
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Explorer will not start, cranks but does not turn over. Took it in for $300 repair and Idle control valve was cleaned. Worked for a few months but now it will not start.
ASEMASTER6371
Iac valve will not prevent truck from starting.

Fuel pressure is my first check, see if it has at least 45 lbs. If not, you need to check the inertia switch, wiring and relay.

JOHNVB10
How do you check fuel pressure? I would hate to take it in and pay an arm and a leg if it's something I can do at home. Where can I find the inertia switch?
ASEMASTER6371
You need a fuel pressure gauge.
Rf lower kick panel is the location of the inertia switch

LWY
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
I removed the upper intake on my 2000 explorer, SOHC 4.0, to remove the thermostat housing. After putting it back together it will not start. Can you give me any direction.
Recheck to make sure nothing was left unplugged such as injectors. Check for spark and fuel to the engine.
ARTHUR54
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
My 2000 ford explorer wont start the lights in the car will turn on but when I turn the ignition to start it, it doesnt even make a noise like its starting
Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good.
-1
JMS1
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
Has fire, in time, injectors are working, p.A.T.S. Is not an issue, Crank sensor is good new plugs and wires. Fuel system is working and has correct pressure.
If you have good spark, proper fuel pressure, the injectors are working, then it has to run unless it has low compression
JMS1
Each cyl. Checks around 150 psi. If the cms were bad would the pcm still send fire to the injectors? This is the only thing i've not tested
JMS1
Thanks, I will check the cms tomorrow. By all reasons this thing should start if the cms checks good.