Not shifting out of 2nd gear

GOSSMAN548
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
My son accord won't shift out 2nd gear. You can manually select 1st or 2nd. In D3 or D4 it stays in 2nd. I can't get it out of S mode. Nothing happen when I push the sports switch, on the shifter
Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 3:28 PM

KHLOW2008
If the S mode indicator is blinking while driving, an error has been detected by the TCM.

You need to retrieve the trouble codes.
Flip up the passenger carpet under dash and locate a round sight glass.
Turn ignition switch on and note the blinking pattern to get the trouble code.

Quite often when transmission fails to shift for the year model, it is due to a faulty TCM.
Wednesday, December 1st, 2010 AT 3:45 PM
GOSSMAN548
The S light doesn't blink. It's solid.I, m having a hard time finding the wire to jumper to get codes. Does the wire unplug from something, or is it a loose wire. The interlock relay and stick shift solenoid chatter, with the ignition on.
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 1:54 AM
KHLOW2008
For the year model, the TCM should have a LED light.
Flip up the passenger side carpet.
Turn ignition ON and note the blinking of the LED from the view window (round hole) on the ECM cover.
Count the blinking of the LED to get the code.

Under the shift lever there is only the interlock solenoid. Does it chatter only with the brake pedal depressed? The solenoid is not linked to TCM. Only to the brake switch and gear shift position.

Is the D4 and other indicators lights working correctly?

Erratic shifting could also be a fault with the TPS. Get it tested for smooth movement and correct voltage.
Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 AT 11:51 AM