1990 Honda Accord Fuel delivery issue.

TJSLRS@GMAIL.COM
  • 1990 HONDA ACCORD
1990 Honda Accord Fuel delivery issue.

I am currently troubleshooting a fuel delivery issue on a 1990 Honda Accord. I have already tested the Main Relay both from the connector and the relay itself and it tested OK. Proceeded to empty and drop the fuel tank since my 90 accord only has 1 access panel for the fuel gauge sending unit which wasn't much help for this issue.

At this point I have removed the tank and now that I have open access to the fuel pump connector I put a meter to that and flipped the key and low and behold I have no power at the connector. My assumption now is that I must have a break in the wire unless I am missing something.

My thought now is to trace the wires from the fuel pump connector back towards the front of the car and see if I can find a break or test and see power being sent out towards the pump.

Any thoughts for my process or advice on where else to start?

Respectfully,

Tj
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 10:42 PM

Check the yellow wire if its open from the main relay to the fuel pump-
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 10:58 PM
WRENCHTECH
Let me add this.
Don't be expecting power there for more than 2 seconds after the key is turned on if at all. It should resume when you start cranking.
Tuesday, August 16th, 2011 AT 11:32 PM
TJSLRS@GMAIL.COM
Thanks for the responses. Just thought I would update this since I have recovered and resolve the issues.

First let me say that I actually had 2 issues which is what was complicating things a little bit.

1) Intermittent issue with the MAIN RELAY (which was located under the dash cluster and hidden by the cruise control box.
2) Fuel pump was faulty as well.

Originally when testing things out the RELAY tested ok but after putting it back up into its space found that it was no longer working which threw me.

Pulled the MAIN RELAY back out again and bypassed the relay to test current to the fuel pump connector which now gave me a constant 12. Xx volts. This answered my original question.

Next bench tested the pump with 12volt power supply and pump didn't move. This confirmed the pump was gone. Also ran a continuity test on the pump which also confirmed the pump was done.

NEXT STEPS:
Found a nice article on repairing MAIN RELAYS. Apparently there is a problem with the soldering method used on the original RELAYS causing intermittent failures over time. Benched the RELAY and de-soldered / re-soldered all connections. Tested the RELAY again and it tested OK.

Re-installed the RELAY and retested @ the fuel pump connector and it still tests OK. I purchased a NEW RELAY and will be holding on to it just to be sure the intermittent issues caused by the RELAY are gone.

Replaced the Fuel pump and re-installed the pump and tank in the car.

Voilla I am on the road again.

Thanks again for the replies and Hope this post helps anyone else who might run across a fuel delivery issue.

Tj
Sunday, August 21st, 2011 AT 4:16 PM