CAR CRANKS BUT WON'T START

• ashman_0
  • 1990 Ford Mustang

1990 Ford Mustang GT car had a bad fuel pump putting out 9 psi replaced pump and now the car won't start

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 9:39 PM

• rasmataz

Check if you're getting an injection pulses from the injectors and also if you're getting spark? Also refer to this link for more information: http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Tuesday, July 24th, 2012 AT 9:51 PM
  • ashman_0

I checked the entire fuel system all appears good. Disconnected the return at the tank cycled and got a return. Coil, plugs, wires, and according to your post the icm and the pip sensor and the eec relay. Exhaust pressure is strong enough I can't hold my hands over the tailpipes when cranking over. Ignition is firing to every plug.

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 4:29 PM
  • rasmataz

Will it start with starting fluid?

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 8:39 PM
  • ashman_0

Nope it will not start with starting fluid either.

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 8:49 PM
  • rasmataz

What about spark do you have it-if so is it a snapping blue spark?

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 8:53 PM
  • ashman_0

Plugs were wiped dry, now are wet and I am getting plenty of snapping blue spark.

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 9:35 PM
  • ashman_0

I went through every step, how can you tell if the ecu has gone? I am good on the noid light test and and it says the same permanent hot to the fuel injectors is the same circuit that powers the eec relay and ecu correct? I just don't understand it the car would at least start with the old weak fuel pump and filter. That is all thats been changed. Would a new pump make the fuel pressure regulater go bad? I pulled the vacuum hose off of it there was no fuel in that. I would think there would be probs with the return if it were bad. Blue spark will jump more then 3/8 it has an accel high output coil only. I left the ignition as normal checked timing its good, ran a timing light on every plug wire. I'm at my ends, I don't know what it is. It doesn't hit a lick at all just cranks and cranks.

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 10:28 PM
  • ashman_0

Additionally I ran through this checklist as well. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/running-fine-one-minute-and-wouldnt-start-the-next.859313/

Wednesday, July 25th, 2012 AT 10:29 PM
  • rasmataz

Check compression and the valve timing if its within specs

Thursday, July 26th, 2012 AT 9:16 PM