OIL LEVEL

1988 Porsche 911

Larry Young

December, 5, 2010 AT 11:12 PM

I recently purchased a 1988 Porsche 911 that has a significant oil leak. I don't want to over fill it, but also don't want to start it to check the oil level. What should the diptstick show with the car level and the engine cold?

Oil Leak From Engine

December, 6, 2010 AT 12:40 AM

It should be on the full mark if its filled correctly-not over or under when engine is fully warmed-up

Larry Young

December, 6, 2010 AT 6:32 PM

Thank you. My concern is what the dip stick should show when the engine is cold, i.E, I want to be certain there is adequate oil in the engine before starting it, but don't want to inadvertently overfill it before starting. Will the dipstick reading show a lower or higher level after the engine warms up?

December, 6, 2010 AT 6:43 PM

You need to start it up till the engine gets to the normal operating temperature-shut it off and wait for 5 mins, then check the oil level-This is where you can tell if it needs oil

cwporsche

December, 26, 2010 AT 3:04 AM

When the engine is cold it won't even show up on the dipstick due to having a dry sump system. Start the engine with as little as 5 qts in it and let it warm up, add oil while engine is idling and check with dipstick.

Removing Stripped Drain Plug
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Replace Oil Pressure Sensor
Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front