ENGINE CUTS OFF WHILE DRIVING

1983 Porsche 911

dretyme

May, 25, 2012 AT 4:31 PM

While driving normaly engine shuts down, turn off ignitions turn over and restarts soon to fail again without warning

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

fixitmr

May, 25, 2012 AT 4:44 PM

Does it do it cold or just when warmed up?

fixitmr

May, 25, 2012 AT 6:46 PM

If it's warmup related consider this. The Bosch CDI unit can go bad where it "locks up" and stops producing sparks under temperature stress. Once you turn the ignition to OFF it resets the box and it will work again for some period of time before the cycle repeats. The effect is strongly temperature-dependent.

To test whether lock-up is your problem do this: Once the car shuts down DO NOT turn off the igntion. Open the engine lid and listen to the whine of the CDI box and memorize its tone. Then turn the ignition to OFF and back to ON without starting the engine. If the whine now sounds different (lower pitch and louder) you have identified a lock-up condition.

If the whine sounds about the same after the power-cycling it confirms that lock-up is not your source of the problem.

dretyme

May, 25, 2012 AT 11:27 PM

Warmed up, today I found a wire frayed behind the ignition switch, pull the switch and opened, all the terminals were exposed and went into disarray where do I find the order they go back in i.E. 50 15 x 30 etc.