No power to fuel pump

FABIAN19720
  • 1987 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I just replaced fuel pump cause had no power lucky I did cause strainer was bad but still no power to it but when I run jumper from fuel relay to 12 volts the pump works it does have dual tanks but the passenger side doesnt work there is not any fuse links on power wire by battery only by alternator and down by starter both are good check fuel relay and its good. Did separate the fuse box from outer but dont see any fuse links there either. Have any idea on where else I can check?

Not really sure if I check it and I dont have voltage there where do I go from there as I already tried changing ecm and no difference

Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 5:43 PM

KHLOW2008

At the ECM, check terminal A1 for battery voltage with ignition turned on. This would only last a couple of seconds as the fuel pump primes. Crank the engine and if battery voltage is available, you have a broken connection between the ECM and the relay.

+1
Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 9:35 PM
KHLOW2008

There are 5 terminals for the fuel pump relay, do you have battery voltage at the Tan/White wire? If no, check the oil pressure switch.

+4
Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 9:38 PM
FABIAN19720

Do u have the wiring diagram for the fuel system in my truck that u can post for me

+3
Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 10:42 PM
KHLOW2008

Here you are. They are too small so I split them up. See if you can print them out and join together for a clearer picture.

+2
Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 10:50 PM
FABIAN19720

Ok on my truck on same bracket as fuel relay theres another relay there with different number but nothing plugged into it do u have any idea on what its there for

-2
Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 10:59 PM
FABIAN19720

I read on another website that some trucks cam out with a 20 second relay for harder starting trucks not sure if thats what it is or not

-1
Tuesday, August 21st, 2012 AT 11:05 PM
KHLOW2008

These are what I have for the relay.

Sorry I do not know anything about the 20 seconds relay.

Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 AT 5:05 AM
FABIAN19720

Thanks! I will get the number off the relay thats next to fuel relay. Gonna go out in little while to see if I can trace down my loss voltage will keep u updated

+1
Wednesday, August 22nd, 2012 AT 2:48 PM
AFICIO

Hot fuel is actually a small pcb inside a black plastic box located on the steering column most likely the right side just above the brake, it is usually found on pickups with the 7.4 and is used to prevent vapor lock, it runs I thought 15 sec. I have had them both stop the fuel pump as well as allow the vehicle to run with the key off because one shorted.I have found newer trucks to have them also behind the glove box. In case you are looking in a wrecking yard, I believe dealer price is around 80.00. Good luck.

+1
Tuesday, September 4th, 2012 AT 3:34 AM
2CARPROS KEN

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)

Cheers, Ken

Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 6:04 PM