START UP ISSUE, DRIVES ROUGH, BLACK SMOKE SOMETIMES

1986 Toyota Pickup

troy21

September, 12, 2011 AT 4:43 PM

Ok here's my issue. I start my truck up in the morning and it starts up fine. But when I drive it for a bit the rpms will go up like 200 rpm at idle, then when I shut it off and try to restart it, it won't start right away, it starts up then dies. Unless I give it gas it will idle out fine but when I do give it gas its very rough and black smoke comes out until the throttle evens out. Also when I drive it and give it gas it will like hesitate, it won't go, like the throttle isn't responding, it chugs and sputters then the throttle evens out and goes. Especially if I go uphill, I shift to 2nd and nothing will happen it'll sputter like its choking itself, and I feather the gas pedal and rev it up and then it'll kick in a drive. Its hard to explain and thanks for reading.

Black Smoke Coming From Exhaust

Smoking

mhpautos

September, 12, 2011 AT 10:28 PM

I would first be checking for a faulty TPI or mass air flow sensor for a problem like this, often a scan will show up any such fault, start here.

aeallison

June, 10, 2012 AT 6:24 PM

Is your truck fuel injected or carbureted?

June, 10, 2012 AT 6:36 PM

Sounds more carbuerated to me-

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla