CAN U HELP ME GET MY TRUCK STARTED?

1985 Ford F-150

sassyfaye

November, 2, 2011 AT 1:59 AM

While accelerating from a stop, my truck backfired, lost power and blew the muffler apart. Now it wont start

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2011 AT 2:01 AM

If it won't start, check to see if there is spark and fuel getting to the engine. Let me know what you find.

sassyfaye

November, 2, 2011 AT 2:15 AM

There is no spark at plugs, I pulled the distibutor cap off to see if the rotor was spinning when the engin was cranked. No movement at all from the rotor

November, 2, 2011 AT 2:56 AM

CAN YOU TURN MR. ROTOR BUTTON/ ROTOR SHAFT WITH YOUR FINGERS---APPLY STIFF PRESSURE, NOT ENOUGH TO BREAK THE BUTTON

RESULTS?

sassyfaye

November, 2, 2011 AT 3:13 AM

I think so

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2011 AT 3:15 AM

It sounds like the distributor gear is damaged. The rotor should turn. THat is where the problem is coming from. You need to remove the distributor and check what is causing the problem.

November, 2, 2011 AT 3:19 AM

USUALLY THE ROLL PIN THAT HOLDS THE GEAR ON THE SHAFT SHEARS-PIN WOULD NEED TO BE REPLACED AND RE-TIMED, IF THIS IS WHAT HAS HAPPENED. THIS IS NOT SET IN STONE, COULD BE WORSE.

CAN YOU DO THIS YOURSELF?

sassyfaye

November, 2, 2011 AT 1:28 PM

Ok. Todays project will be to pull the distributor out and check the pin. I am able to do this myself, but, I must go to work first. I will let you know how this all went later this afternoon. Thank you

Wrenchtech

November, 2, 2011 AT 1:50 PM

Why don't you just crank the engine to see if the rotor turns before you go and throw everything out of time checking something that you haven't confirmed.

Jacobandnickolas

November, 2, 2011 AT 4:44 PM

What wrenchtech said it true. But I believe it has already been checked. (3rd post)

November, 2, 2011 AT 4:59 PM

IF THE CHECK (BUTTON TURNS ROUND AND ROUND WITH YOUR FINGERS)WAS DONE CORRECTLY

IT'LL STILL TURN WITH THE CRANKING ACTION (CAUSE THE GEAR MAY STILL SORTA TIGHT ON THE SHAFT, SLIPPING MAY BE INTERMITTENT)

EVEN REMOVED, THE PIN APPEARS TO BE INTACT ON BOTH SIDES OF THE GEAR---THE MIDDLE IS THE SHEARED PORTION

IT'S GONNA HAVE TO BE ONE OF THOSE DEALS, WHERE YOU KNOW FOR CERTAIN THE SHAFT WILL TURN 'ROUND AND 'ROUND WITH YOUR FINGERS----I'M NOT TALKING BACK AND FORTH SLACK, THAT IS NORMAL!

LET US KNOW FOR SURE--WE MAY ALSO BE ABLE TO EXPLAIN PULLING THE DISTRIBUTOR, MAKING NOTES ALONG THE WAY, AND BEING ABLE TO RE-INSTALL IT WITHOUT GOING THRU THE "TOP DEAD CENTER" (TDC) PROCESS----MAY GET YOU BACK IN, WITH LITTLE EFFORT.

THIS PROCESS MUST BEGIN, BEFORE YOU SNATCH IT OUT. GOTTA DO IT THE HARD WAY OTHERWISE!

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right