Engine wont start

FORD1995FORD
  • 1995 FORD F-150

Just bought a 1995 ford f150 and went to start it to drive it on the trailer and the guy said it was out of gas so I went and got 20 dollars of gas for it and reset the fuel pump shut off switch and it started right up for 4 seconds then died and kept trying but no luck. Winched it on the trailer and got it home and then the guy told me he had been driving it and it started smoking so he had it towed home then they got it home and drove it in the yard for 10 minutes and ran it out of gas and kept cranking on it. When I got it home I put a brand new battery in it. New plugs and wires in it. New starter and fresh gas. When I checked the oil it was 1.5 quarts low and the antifreeze was empty. When I try to start the truck is turns over slower then usual even with a new battery and starter and it smells like gas and wants to start but wont then after trying for a hours I tried starting fluid and it started for 30 seconds and then died so I tried starting fluid again and no start and then later that day while trying to start it I saw white smoke coming from the rear passeneger side of the motor and it smell very unusual and bad and still can not get it to start dont know what I need to fix.

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 9:05 AM

Check fuel pressure with a gauge autoparts rent it. Probably low

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 9:33 AM
FORD1995FORD

Fuel pressure was at about 38 I think.

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 9:35 AM

This thing may have a head gasket problem or something similar check compression and have coolant system pressure checked. Also check fuses underhood an din cab as there may be a fuse blown there. Check starter relay for being bad an ddrawing to much juice.

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 9:38 AM
FORD1995FORD

Is there a cheap way to check compression and coolant pressure and I will check all the fuses im not currently by the truck but when I do get to it I will let you know. I will stay in touch thank you

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 9:40 AM
FORD1995FORD

The check engine light also started flashing then went back to normal lighting up if that matters?

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 9:43 AM

If you have a coolant pressure tester and compression gauge then you can test it.

Monday, March 31st, 2014 AT 1:41 PM
FORD1995FORD

I do not are they pretty costly?

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 AT 6:06 AM

Do yourself a favor and have apro do this if you are going to go this far with it. He can doit probably cheaper than you can buy them

Tuesday, April 1st, 2014 AT 6:48 AM
CHRYSTAL HOLMAN
  • 1995 FORD F-150

Truck starts part of the time and other times it does not. Has stalled just going down the road before. Has been completely serviced, new started, fuel injection been checked, does crank most of the time, does spark, and can hear the click when trying to turn it over. New battery also.

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 8:22 PM (Merged)
DUSTYF150
  • 1995 FORD F-150

I have a 1995 f150 that used to be the v6 with the five speed manual transmission, and the person I bought it from put a 1992 licoln 302 roller motor in it and swapped it from fuel injection to carbureted, but after I bought it I drove it maybe 20-25 miles and had pressed the clutch and the brake to stop to make a left turn and I realized the truck died and when I went to start it it wouldn't start it would turn over but no fire so I replaced the coil and still wouldn't start. Any help?

Monday, March 27th, 2017 AT 8:23 PM (Merged)

For something like this have alocal pro take a look because we wold have no idea how the guy wired it or did what to make it work.

351FORDMAN
  • 1995 FORD F-150

1995 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My pickup just started to act a little funny in the sense it idles hard at various times mostly on a cold start up. But recently it will turn over and not start after it has been started before. It sometimes dies when shes cold and I try to drive it. I changed the fuel regulator pump with no luck. Stumped, could it be the air mass flow meter? Just not sure

Check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge if its within specs if so--clean out the idle air control valve and test the throttle position sensor and MAF sensor

DARE009
  • 1995 FORD F-150

Engine problem
1995 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

Truck starts and will run fine. Then it will not start for 2-3 days, then it will start again. I have checked fuel pumps, relays, air cintrol valve. I havent checked fuel pressure but I do have fuel at the shrader valve on the rail. And I can hear the pumps come on.
It gave me code saying system checked good 211

MASTERTECHTIM

Check to see if you have spark. Remove the wire at the coil and see if it sparks while cranking.

The fuel pump might be coming On but the question here is it producing the correct fuel pressure.

DARE009

No spark at this time. Why would it spark (start) at times then not?

MASTERTECHTIM

Well without actually testing it I can only give you my opinion. These trucks have problems with the ignition modules failing causing all sorts of no starts. Unless it is a wiring problem(i doubt it is) it is usually module, coil or pick up coil. Hope this helps

+1
DARE009

I will check fuel pressure at the rail, I guess the pump may be on the way out. What about the sensor in the distributor. Pip sensor?

MASTERTECHTIM

It will still start with a bad pip