1991 Ford F-150 Starting problems sometimes

CHARLESJONES
  • 1991 FORD F-150

1991 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

5.8 liter engine. At home I park on a angle part on the drive and part on the grass so my wife can get out in the morning. I work at nights. The problem started after I changed out the air bypass valve and installed a new fuel filter. I used to be able to turn the key on and the truck would start ok. Now, If I miss hitting the gas when the engine first turns over it takes a long time to get it to start again. It doent matter which tank I have selected either. Once it gets warmed up and I leave it appears to choke a little after leaving a stop sign. Once at work and make the trip home it starts fine. Each time I try to start it I cycle the key off/on to activate the fuel pump again and it takes several tries to get it to start.

Wednesday, September 10th, 2008 AT 10:57 AM

JIMMIEJAMES

I'm having the exact same problem with my f150, even down to the cyclng the key on and off. I was wondering if you ever sourced the problem or not?

Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 8:00 AM
CHARLESJONES

As silly as this may sound the cure was quite basic. I changed the distributor cap and rotor. Added a new fuel filter and stuck in a bottle to clean my injectors. Seemed to work for me. Good luck.

Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 1:59 PM
ADAMADAMS1
  • 1991 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

1991 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

5.0L V8. When I turn on the key, the fuel pump comes on but does not shut off after 1 second per the PCM programming. I checked for pressure at the injectors by pressing on the schrader valve, and got pressure. Checked for spark - good. The engine turns over but will not start. I hear the fuel pump relay clicking, and another realy near the fuel pressure valve clicking somewhat erratically. Is this symptomatic of a bas PCM? If so, where is it located? I've looked under the seat and under the dash but cannot seem to find it.
Thanks.

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM
MERLIN2021
  • MERGED

Could be a sign of a bad relay, have you tried replacing it yet?

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM
RICHARD71
  • 1991 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

I had drove it home from work and then got up the next day and it would crank but would start. I have changed out both fuel pumps with salvaged pumps that tested for 40 psi, MAP sensor, fuel pump relay, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter and still it will crank but not start. I have had the starter tested it passed. It is dragging a little and locks up to stop not sure if that could be a problem. I need help

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM
  • MERGED

See if it has spark it may not check ignition module in dist see pics. Also check eec relay

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM
MINERKEITH
  • 1991 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

1991 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 216000 miles

ok I have a 91 f150 and it wont start. I tried to jump the battery, I changed the battery, I replaced the starter, the starter solinoid is new. Im lost what else could it be

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM
CRPOWELL08
  • MERGED

Does the truck turn over or does it do nothing when you turn the key

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM
WALLY211
  • 1991 FORD F-150
  • MERGED

1991 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

I've had my truck about 3 months with no problems. I recently went to the store, came out it wouldn't start. It acts like it wants to it just won't turn over. I changed the fuel pump, filter, spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. It still won't start. If I let it sit for a day or two it will start for about two seconds then die. If you have any ideas it is greatly appreciated. Someone suggested that I change the electronic ignition module. Please help me, i'm running out of money and patience. Thank you for your time.

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:59 AM
LEGITIMATE007
  • MERGED

It could be your ignition module and it can also be your mass airflow sensor, you must determine if you have spark. And fuel at the injectors.

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:59 AM