1991 Ford F-150 Starting problems sometimes

CHARLESJONES
  • 1991 FORD F-150

1991 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 50000 miles

5.8 liter engine. At home I park on a angle part on the drive and part on the grass so my wife can get out in the morning. I work at nights. The problem started after I changed out the air bypass valve and installed a new fuel filter. I used to be able to turn the key on and the truck would start ok. Now, If I miss hitting the gas when the engine first turns over it takes a long time to get it to start again. It doent matter which tank I have selected either. Once it gets warmed up and I leave it appears to choke a little after leaving a stop sign. Once at work and make the trip home it starts fine. Each time I try to start it I cycle the key off/on to activate the fuel pump again and it takes several tries to get it to start.

Wednesday, September 10th, 2008 AT 10:57 AM

JIMMIEJAMES

I'm having the exact same problem with my f150, even down to the cyclng the key on and off. I was wondering if you ever sourced the problem or not?

Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 8:00 AM
CHARLESJONES

As silly as this may sound the cure was quite basic. I changed the distributor cap and rotor. Added a new fuel filter and stuck in a bottle to clean my injectors. Seemed to work for me. Good luck.

Thursday, October 2nd, 2008 AT 1:59 PM
ADAMADAMS1
  • 1991 FORD F-150

1991 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

5.0L V8. When I turn on the key, the fuel pump comes on but does not shut off after 1 second per the PCM programming. I checked for pressure at the injectors by pressing on the schrader valve, and got pressure. Checked for spark - good. The engine turns over but will not start. I hear the fuel pump relay clicking, and another realy near the fuel pressure valve clicking somewhat erratically. Is this symptomatic of a bas PCM? If so, where is it located? I've looked under the seat and under the dash but cannot seem to find it.
Thanks.

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:58 AM (Merged)
MERLIN2021

Could be a sign of a bad relay, have you tried replacing it yet?

RICHARD71
  • 1991 FORD F-150

I had drove it home from work and then got up the next day and it would crank but would start. I have changed out both fuel pumps with salvaged pumps that tested for 40 psi, MAP sensor, fuel pump relay, battery, spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter and still it will crank but not start. I have had the starter tested it passed. It is dragging a little and locks up to stop not sure if that could be a problem. I need help

See if it has spark it may not check ignition module in dist see pics. Also check eec relay

MINERKEITH
  • 1991 FORD F-150

1991 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 216000 miles

ok I have a 91 f150 and it wont start. I tried to jump the battery, I changed the battery, I replaced the starter, the starter solinoid is new. Im lost what else could it be

CRPOWELL08

Does the truck turn over or does it do nothing when you turn the key

WALLY211
  • 1991 FORD F-150

1991 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

I've had my truck about 3 months with no problems. I recently went to the store, came out it wouldn't start. It acts like it wants to it just won't turn over. I changed the fuel pump, filter, spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. It still won't start. If I let it sit for a day or two it will start for about two seconds then die. If you have any ideas it is greatly appreciated. Someone suggested that I change the electronic ignition module. Please help me, i'm running out of money and patience. Thank you for your time.

Friday, February 3rd, 2017 AT 1:59 AM (Merged)
LEGITIMATE007

It could be your ignition module and it can also be your mass airflow sensor, you must determine if you have spark. And fuel at the injectors.

LEGITIMATE007

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

IDAHODAN
  • 1991 FORD F-150

1991 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

stalled and no start, getting spark, engine starts after sitting but only runs for a second, fuel pump not working, replaced fp relay still not working. If I bypass the relay and jump the fuel pump runs

Jump the fuel pump runs -if you meant direct to it from battery source-check the fuel cut off enertia switch

IDAHODAN

Truck runs in start mode but not ign/run mode. Bypassed fuel pump at relay and pump runs but apparently injectors are not working the relay has power with ign on but fuel pump will not run. I beleive the inertia switch is okay because fuel pump runs when by passed

If it runs on start position then I suggest you test the igniton switch

. Bypassed fuel pump at relay and pump runs

The computer grounds the relay in order for the relay to transfer power to the pump.

MICHAEL BELDING
  • 1991 FORD F-150

Truck wont start after I fixed timeing chain

Describe what "WON'T START" means exactly. Turns over, no start. No turn over. Spit, sputter or just dry turning over. Got good spark at the plugs.A little shot of starter fluid down the throat, does what? (This is sorta some important questions, as to what route to go, to try to guide you!)

I do not know your skill level, so bear with me! (Let me know that too).I am a Jeep CJ kinda feller

Did you CORRECTLY line up the TIMING MARKS on the GEARS when you re-installed it?

This may help, Your particular Vehicle's Timing Gear Mark Alignment may differ. Surely you are using a reference to do this task!

Let's get the "No Start" issue DEFINED, before we blame the chain, unless you know for sure it's installed wrong.

Even though I do not know your Truck, I may still be able to assist you, I do know engine mechanicals well.

Please do not be scared to Write and Describe, in Great Detail, I generally get carried away and write novels! The more info/ history I know, may help me, to help you faster!

Your Turn

The Medic

These are mine!---Mostly built from the ground up---All by myself!

RACEFAN966

So as you have already been asked what is it doing? Does it turn over and not start? Have you checked the spark at the end of the plug wires? Have you checked to see if there is fuel at the test port? What engine is in the truck? I am a Ford guy and a mechanic so with some info I can walk you through some testing and go from there.

POYZYNNIVEY
  • 1991 FORD F-150

I backed up my driveway one day and the truck just died. That day when I tried to start it it would crank. The next day it stopped cranking over and now just makes a buzzing noise when I try to turn it over. My ford wont start. I have replaced fuel pump, clutch saftey switch, ignition switch, starter relay, and the fuel pump selector switch. Still wont start. Please Help!

Have helper hold key at cranking position you bang on the starter motor-what happened?