My Jeep runs, idles and starts perfect

CASEYCJ84
  • 1984 JEEP CJ7
My jeep runs, idles and starts perfect. I feel like I have a loss of power when I really give her some gas. Is it because the mechanical pump on the block can not keep up. I replaced everything on the fuel system in the past few months. I am also running no vacuums and I'm computer free on my jeep(except the distributors vacuum advance to a 1970 carter from a dodge dart.) The Question is "Can I install a electric fuel pump, which one, where at on the jeep and would a performance pump be better for more extreme temperatures hot and cold?"
Wednesday, November 28th, 2012 AT 2:45 AM

SAY YOU GOT A DIFFERENT CARB THAN A CARTER BBD?

SEND ME SOME PICS OF UNDER YOUR HOOD, BREATHER OFF, IF YOU WILL

IS YOUR FUEL SYSTEM HOOK UP LIKE THIS IN MY PICS? DISREGARD MY HOLLEY---THE BBD AND HOLLEY DO THE SAME JOB USE THE SAME SYSTEM

WITH JEEP OFF---USE A FLASHLIGHT AND LOOK DOWN THE BARRELS---ACTUATE THE THROTTLE----DO YOU SEE 2 PERTTY STREAMS OF FUEL SHOOT INTO THE BARRELS. LIKE MICRO SQUIRT GUN ACTION?

DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR EVIL BUDDIES. THIS RIG DOES NOT NEED AN ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP----IT DOES WELL WITH MOST OF WHAT IT WAS BORN WITH

'CEPT THE CARB FOR THE LATER YEARS WITH A STEPPER MOTOR----I GOT THAT COVERED TOO!I MAY CAN AID YOU WITH THE CARB THING. AND 'BOUT ANY OTHER CJ ISSUEJUST KEEP THROWING IT AT ME IN THIS POST

NOW----I'LL BE WRITING NOVELS. FROM HERE ON OUT. YOU WILL BE GIVING LITTLE SHORT ANSWERS (I KNOW THIS)I WANT YOUR ONLY NOVEL TO BE EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO YOUR JEEP---WHAT'S GONE---WHATS THERE---PICS ARE NICE TOO----WHAT YOU DO WITH YOUR JEEP

DO YOU HAVE BASIC TOOLS, TO INCLUDE A DWELL/ TACH METER AND A "PLAIN JANE" TIMING LIGHT?

REPAIR MANUAL?---WHICH ONE?

I AM. TO ASSUME. THIS IS A 258 6 CYLINDER?

DO YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR JEEP?

HERE'S THE PICS. AND IT'S YOUR TURN NOW!

Wednesday, November 28th, 2012 AT 3:44 AM
KSYRIUM
Hey Medevac, Nice bumping into you at Army/Navy store. Thx for the directional guidance!
I couldn't figure a way to PM you on here.... so, sorry to high-jack the thread, which coincidentally, this may save me from purchasing an electric fuel pump :)

For reference: AMC - '87 YJ - 150K - i6 - Weber carb - so things maybe missing and/or outta place.

I'm in the process of attempting to run down that (confirmed) vacuum leak - ran out of carb cleaner since I was spraying it attempting to quickly find the leak....
FYI: nothing at the axle, nothing at the Tcase - nothing at the Distributor - think I hammered down the little bit that was at the carb again.

1 line that I still need to check is the 1 that goes into the tub & connects to the heater controls (YJ's have it, not sure if CJ's do). AND I just had heater controls all out & got it put back last week - but for a different reason :-/

I'm also checking out this page: https://www.2carpros.com/images/external/vacuhose.png
But he lists lots of lines that aren't on mine. I know my CTO is out of the loop.

Question: Is it possible that my vacuum leak is coming from my intake manifold gasket?? Reason for asking is I over sprayed a vacuum line b/w the carb & pcv valve & motor raced. I put a towel behind the part to prevent over spray & tried again - no racing motor.

Thx again!
Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 12:39 AM
REALLY GOOD REPLY----I HATE THOSE ONE LINERS WHEREAS I HAVE TO PULL TEETH TO GET MORE INFO

ON THIS ONE, I DO HAVE A LITTLE INSIDE INFO!

BETTER STILL.....I MAY GET SOME "HANDS ON"!

I'M OFF TOMORROW, HAVE A FEW LITTLE HONEY DOs TO DO.....LIKE THOSE DARN CHRISTMAS LIGHTS

I RECKON YOU STILL 'MEMBER THE CONTACT INFO?....IF NOT, I MAY BE ABLE TO SEND YOU A PM HERE...LET ME KNOW

THE SITE CHANGED/ REMODELED RECENTLY, I DON'T KNOW IF IT STILL WORKS THAT I CAN PM YOU, USE TO "YOU" HAD TO REPLY 10 TIMES BEFORE "YOU" COULD PM.......WHATEVER--WE'LL SEE!

YES, THE INTAKE COULD BE LEAKINGRECENTLY DEALT WITH THAT WITH "RICK'S CJ 7"

MAY BE EZ TO FIX LIKE HIS WAS----PICS OF RICK'S ARE IN THIS LINK---THIS GUY ASKING THE QUESTION HAS BEEN OUTSTANDING!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1982-jeep-cj7-ignition-problem-spark-distributor-cap/page/11

WE MIGHT COULD LOSE SOME OF THAT VACUUM CRAP---I'M GUESSING IT ALL DON'T WORK LIKE IT DID IN '87...'88....'89.............LESS CRAP--LESS VACUUM LEAK POSSIBILITIES--LESS MAINTENANCE!

EVER SEEN A PUSH-MOWER ENGINE?

RUNS GREAT!---WITH LITTLE CRAP!

MANY MODERN FOLKS DON'T REALIZE THAT THERE'S ACTUALLY A "SIMPLE ENGINE" IN AMONGST THAT MESS OF WIRES, HOSE'S, AND SENSORS OF ONE OF THESE SPACE SHUTTLE CARSCHANGE/ MODIFY THE MANIFOLD FOR A CARB ---SIMPLIFY THE IGNITIONIF IT HAS A DISTRIBUTOR WE CAN MAKE IT RUN.........JUST NOT AS EFFICIENT

I FEEL CERTAIN WE CAN MAKE YOURS MUCH BETTER--JUST FROM WHAT I KNOW THUS FAR

WE ARE "ALL CABLE CONTROLLED" WITH A BASE MODEL CJ --- A/Cs ARE FEW AND FAR BETWEEN

WE GET MEGA HEAT IN THE SUMMER---A/C IN THE WINTERI HAVE MADE WINTER A LITTLE BETTER IN MINE

SEE MY LAST REPLY IN THIS POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2005-ford-freestyle-heat-idle-only-on-high-rpm

SO.....LET'S GET SOME OF THIS STUFF WE DISCUSSED................IMPLEMENTED!

O2---AIR/ FUEL GAUGE---VAC LEAK---JETS---I'LL LEND YOU MY WEBER LITERATURE

GOT MORE STUFF THAT WILL INTEREST YOU TOO

Thursday, November 29th, 2012 AT 3:41 AM
KSYRIUM
I'm not sure if I can remember your email clearly, soon as I hopped in the car, dog needed to get out. Going to try to send an email to you.

Well, I didn't get to 'work' on her today, I was up at the parts store. I did have the hood up, and had another look-see again.

Found a section of vacuum line that I didn't realize was there - b/w the battery and the motor. Hooks into the lines that run down to the F. Axle.

I'm usually pretty good with 'Simple engines'. Vacuum lines may make me loose some hair. We shall see.

I tried getting the correct part for the fuel pressure - but he handed me wrong part. Good guy, just a mistake.

Peaked at the air/fuel ratio gauge - I saw the 1 you have - he said those are top of the line!

First thing I'm thinking is 'seek & destroy' this vacuum leak! Then we can see how it idles! And by then I should have the air/fuel gauge.

And I got a distributor cap/rotor waiting on you - very curious to see MPG #'s and what you think about any HP differences! :)
Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 1:44 AM
SIMPLE EMAIL"er" (NOT "ow") ON END OF 1ST PART---BEFORE THE @. SURELY YOU REMEMBER, IT WAS SORTA "HICK-A-FIED"!

CELL WAS SORTA LIKE A SAUSAGE, EGG, AND CHEESE BISCUIT WIPED UP WITH AN OLD TRASHED OUT TOWEL---SOPPING WET WITH AN ANTIFREEZE OR WAS IT ANTIFREEZE?

I'LL ATTEMPT A PM IF THAT DIDN'T JOG YOUR MIND

SHOULDA HOOKED UP TODAY---I HAD SOME FREE TIME BETWEEN THE HONEY DOs

OFF AT 1730 (HOME MAYBE BY1800) TOMORROW----MAY CAN DO SOME JEEP FIXIN' STUFF WITH A LOCAL FELLER.I NEED TO "DOCTOR" ON ONE, BEFORE I LOSE MY TOUCH

RESPOND HERE, LET ME KNOW IF IT CAME BACK TO YOU. OR INITIATE THE EMAIL OR CELL

I'LL BE UP TILL MIDNIGHT, IF YOU WANNA CONTINUE COMMO-ING

Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 2:38 AM
KSYRIUM
"I don't get it big Dan".... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZocpwWLsyE

I got a little time to work on her tonight - I tightened a lot of bolts. Seems the leak is coming from intake manifold gasket - closest to the firewall. CRAP!

Any place else I sprayed didn't have any reaction.
Friday, November 30th, 2012 AT 11:33 PM
I'LL BE GLAD TO ASSIST

I MAY CAN ASSIST W/ PARTS---I GET A 20%. HOPEFULLY IT'S AN "IN STOCK" ITEM, SHOULD IT BE NEEDED

WE'LL HOOK UP SOON, I HAVEN'T GOT MY SCHEDULE YETMOSTLY, IN THE PAST, I'VE HAD SUNDAY OFF (NEVER KNOW)

PM ON THE WAY

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 2:29 AM
CASEYCJ84
The carb has a full stream of gas and everything looks the same under the hood except the fuel regulator. I also put a HEI distributor in the other week. The carb that's on right now is just about the same as the 1983 two barrel carters and down, just no vacuum lines running to it(except distributor)and no thermostat chock. I don't own a camera and my phones camera is crud. The only changes that I've made to her is the 1970 carter carb, HEI distributor, Pacesetter headers with duel exhaust and everything else is bone stock. I do have the 258 I6. I have a Chilton repair manual. I also have all the tools needed to work on the jeep. I do love my jeep. I sold my 2003 Chevy 2500 to buy her. I got her for 4400, put about 1200 into rebuilding her and maybe 100 hours so far. She wasn't taken care of when I meet her. We drove 500 miles to get her and then drover 500 back. She broke down three time on the way home and we rigged her every time. The original valve cover gasket was still on and oil leaks from fender to bumper. I've had three girl friends break up with me because of her. I just don't love her. I care for her. I'll never buy another vehicle or sale my jeep. Your willies look really medic. One day I'll have one to rebuild. My evil buddy says that my new distributor is burning more gas then the fuel sending unit can handle and if I get a electric fuel pump installed near the fuel cell and increase the PSI just a bit that it would help with my bogging down at high RPM's. "Evil friends sometimes have good intentions."
Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 1:20 PM
Ksyrium. CaseyCJ84

?

SOMEBODY'S CONFUSING ME!

ARE WE THE SAME FELLER

OR ARE WE JUMPING ONTO SOMEONE ELSE'S THREAD!

I DON'T MIND SOMEONE JUMPING INJUST LET ME KNOW

IT IS MUCH EASIER TO STAY ON THE SAME THREAD WHERE ALL OF THE INFO IS ALL TOGETHER AND NOT CONFUSED WITH THE INFO FROM THE OTHER GUY

GOTTA REMEMBER---I'M REPLYING BACK TO A LOT OF FOLKS CONSTANTLY, MANY TIMES I MUST GO BACK AND REVIEW THE WHOLE THREAD SO I CAN GET BACK UP TO SPEED

HELP ME OUT NOW!

Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 2:30 PM
CASEYCJ84

REPAIR MANUAL?---WHICH ONE?

DO YOU REALLY LOVE YOUR JEEP?

THE MEDICThe carb has a full stream of gas and everything looks the same under the hood except the fuel regulator. I also put a HEI distributor in the other week. The carb that's on right now is just about the same as the 1983 two barrel carters and down, just no vacuum lines running to it(except distributor)and no thermostat chock. I don't own a camera and my phones camera is crud. The only changes that I've made to her is the 1970 carter carb, HEI distributor, Pacesetter headers with duel exhaust and everything else is bone stock. I do have the 258 I6. I have a Chilton repair manual. I also have all the tools needed to work on the jeep. I do love my jeep. I sold my 2003 Chevy 2500 to buy her. I got her for 4400, put about 1200 into rebuilding her and maybe 100 hours so far. She wasn't taken care of when I meet her. We drove 500 miles to get her and then drover 500 back. She broke down three time on the way home and we rigged her every time. The original valve cover gasket was still on and oil leaks from fender to bumper. I've had three girl friends break up with me because of her. I just don't love her. I care for her. I'll never buy another vehicle or sale my jeep. Your willies look really medic. One day I'll have one to rebuild. My evil buddy says that my new distributor is burning more gas then the fuel sending unit can handle and if I get a electric fuel pump installed near the fuel cell and increase the PSI just a bit that it would help with my bogging down at high RPM's. "Evil friends sometimes have good intentions."
Saturday, December 1st, 2012 AT 2:45 PM
TELL ME YOU CAPPED OFF ALL OF THE UNUSED CARB VACUUM PORTS?

YOU ALSO HAVE A 3/8 VACUUM LINE RUNNING TO YOUR PCV VALVE? (FRONT HOLE ON VALVE COVER)

REAR HOLE ON VALVE COVER IS PROVIDING FRESH AIR INTO THE VALVE COVER--BEING DRAWN FROM THE AIR CLEANER?

THE MECHANICAL PUMP SHOULD BE SUFFICIENT FOR YOUR JEEP----CHEAPER/ NEEDS NO ELECTRICITY---DEFINITELY WILL ALWAYS SHUT OFF, WHEN THE ENGINE IS STOPPED

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THE OUTPUT---THE MECHANICAL PUMP WILL PUT OUT ONE QUART (OR MORE) IN ONE MINUTE!

ONE GALLON IN 4 MINUTES

EMPTY A 15 GALLON TANK IN 1 HOUR

EMPTY MY 21 GALLON TANK (ACTUALLY 22) IN 1 HOUR 28 MINUTES

NOT LONG AGO -- I DROVE TO SAVANNAH, GA. RIGHT AT A 4 HOUR TRIP ON A FULL 22 GALLON TANK. I ACTUALLY RAN OUT OF FUEL ABOUT A MILE FROM MY DESTINATION. I KEEP 5 GALLONS (ACTUALLY 4.6 GALLONS IS ALL A MILITARY GERRY CAN WILL HOLD) OF FUEL ON THE BACK OF BOTH OF MY JEEPS, SO I STILL WAS GOOD

SORTA THE MORAL OF THE STORY IS----AT THE RATE OF MECHANICAL FLOW, SHOULD I HAVE BEEN BURNING IT AS FAST AS IT WAS PUMPED---I WOULD HAVE BEEN EMPTY WHEN I REACHED COLUMBIA, SC, CLOSE TO A 1/3 OF MY TRIP

SEE MY LOWER 21 GALLON POLYETHYLENE TANK?---ADDITIONAL 4.8 GALLONSMY AIR TANK REAR BUMPER (TIED INTO THE COMPRESSOR FOR MY TRAIN HORN)?

I CARRY PLENTY OF TOOLS AND OTHER SURVIVAL ON THE ROAD TYPE CRAP. LIKE TIRE PLUGS ( I HAVE AIR!)THESE 3 ITEMS (AND MORE!) ARE KEPT IN THE BOTTOM OF MY CONSOLE, THE "LACK" OF THESE 3 ITEMS HAS LEFT ME STRANDED IN THE PAST--SINCE I'VE CARRIED THEM.I'VE AIDED 2 OTHER JEEPS ON THE ROADSIDE, ONE NEED MY PUMP, THE OTHER MY IGNITION MODULE.I HAVE NOT USED 'EM YET. SEE 3RD PIC

REALLY. THE DISTRIBUTOR IS COOL AND ALL. BUT WHAT GAIN WILL IT GIVE YOU?

I'M GETTING 18 MPG WITH MY HOLLEY AND STOCK DISTRIBUTOR----THEM HIGH SPEED HIGH DOLLAR PLUGS THAT ARE OFFERED. AIN'T NO BETTER THAN STOCK

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT WIRE (S) THE DISTRIBUTOR IS HOOKED TO

IS YOUR FUEL SYSTEM STILL CORRECT, USING THE 3 PORT FUEL FILTER. AS IN MY PICS?----IN MY 1ST ANSWER?

HAVE YOU TIMED IT. ARE YOU SURE OF YOUR METHOD. OR DID EVIL BUDDY TELL YOU HOW?

WHAT ABOUT MIX SCREWS---HOW'D YOU DO THAT?

I CAN LINK YOU TO THE WAY I DO IT

GIMME SOME ANSWERS

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 AT 4:40 AM