CROSSED JUMPER CABLES, CAR WON'T TURN OVER.

1978 Jeep CJ7

78JeepJunkie

February, 28, 2012 AT 3:11 PM

I just bought a 78 CJ7. 304 V8 with 4 wheel drive. I was driving it home from where I bought it when I thought it was sputtering a bit so I stopped at a gas station, and pumped ten gallons of gas. When I went to start her back up she would whine a little but wouldn't turn over. I knew it was having problems holding a charge so I figured I'd need to replace the alternator. I had someone go to jump me off, wasnt paying attention, and crossed the cables on my side. (Pos to neg, neg to pos) needless to say I'm never gonna make that mistake again. I replaced the battery. At this point I have voltage across the solenoid, and can jump across it. The belt starts spinning and I can smell gas but the engine wont turn. This leads me to think I might not be getting any spark? I have very little experience working on cars and I bought this Jeep to learn on, however with a point in the right direction I'm sure I'll catch on fast. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

billymac

February, 28, 2012 AT 3:26 PM

Hi first check all the fuses. Next check at distributor and ignition for twelve volts with key on if no voltage replace ignition module

February, 28, 2012 AT 3:27 PM

February, 29, 2012 AT 1:14 AM

CHECK YOUR FUSIBLE LINKS

SEE MY LINK....BOTTOM END OF MY ANSWER ON FEBRUARY 4

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1986-jeep-cj7-help-needed

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU FIND OR IF YOU NEED ADDITIONAL HELP OR GUIDANCE.....I'LL HANG WITH TILL THE JEEP IS 100% RESTORED

YOUR TURN

78JeepJunkie

February, 29, 2012 AT 8:10 PM

I'll try to get in tonight and check fusible links and fuses thanks!

February, 29, 2012 AT 8:14 PM

I WOULDA TOOK OFF FROM WORK IF MY BABY WAS SICK!

I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST LET HIM STAY HOME ALONE WHILE HE'S SICK!

78JeepJunkie

February, 29, 2012 AT 8:18 PM

No kidding! Her names Annie and I've been counting the seconds till I can get back under the hood!

February, 29, 2012 AT 9:37 PM

IF YOU'LL SCROLL BACK UP TO THE "CAR LIST"---GO TO "JEEP" THEN THE CJ 5 & 7 FORUMS. IT WON'T TAKE YOU LONG TO FIGURE OUT HOW SERIOUS I AM, AS YOU READ THRU THE OTHER POSTS!

NEED YOU TO JUMP BACK ON IT. LOOKS LIKE RAIN SHOULDN'T BOTHER YOU, IF THAT CARPORT AREA IS "HOME"

YOU MUST GET IT BACK OUT THERE AND DRAW SOME OF THE HEAT OFF OF US OTHER GUYS. YOURS HAVE DIVIDED UP AND SWARMED ONTO OURS! WE ARE BEING OVER-RUN!

KEEP US INFORMED

YOUR TURN

Tboy0909

March, 3, 2012 AT 5:08 PM

Jeep Junkies Pop.
Can anyone verify this picture wiring?
Right side is Large Black wire going to +battery and small red wire into fuseable link
small red/blue are S & I wires respectevley
left side of switch is large black wire going to starter, 1 small red wire (that burnt in 2 and twisted together going to alternator and another small red wire going somewhere else.
I thought that only starter should be coming off this side?

Tboy0909

March, 3, 2012 AT 6:21 PM

Ok. So I moved the original burnt small red wire over to the ACC side of the switch and WAAAAALAAAAAA ! ACC Power : LOL
ie headlights come on etc. Key works now. BUT.
Now, when you turn the key to start, the motor continues to crank, doesnt start, and wont stop cranking regardless of the key position off so you have to pull the positive side of the battery. Hmmmmmm
H E L P !
Getting closer : o)

March, 4, 2012 AT 3:43 AM

SEE MY ANSWER ON FEBRUARY 4TH IN THIS POST....EXPLANATIONS ABOVE THE PICS

HOOK UP EXACTLY LIKE MINE----TURN YOURS RIGHT SIDE UP

USE A BUTT SPLICE ON YOUR BARE WIRE!

KEEP ME POSTED...I'LL STICK WITH YOU AS LONG AS YOU ASK QUESTIONS

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement
Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang