78 CJ7 WON'T TURN OVER

• keepulookin
  • 1978 Jeep CJ7

The hubs and I just purchased a '78 CJ7. It's a V8 manual, 3 speed transmission without any mods, just restoration work. It recently had fuel pump replaced by the previous owner. After the fuel pump was replaced, it started. However, when we had it delivered to us today, it won't start. It was delivered to us on a flatbed trailer.

When I try to turn over the ignition, it clicks, but nothing else. Could this be a continued issue with the fuel pump? Maybe something got knocked out of wack during the transport or could it be an ignition/starter issue?

When I turn the headlights on and then turn the ignition to start, the lights dim. From what I understand, this means that I don't have an ignition problem (but I'm not 100% sure since I don't have a voltage tester).

If it is the starter, is there a way I can find out for sure without taking the starter out to test it?

Wondering where I should start inspecting the problem, if there are any other sounds I should be listening for, etc. Let me know if there are other details I can provide. I used to work on my old camry (valve cover gaskets, brakes, but never issues involving where the vehicle won't start so I'm a little lost). Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 8:25 PM

• keepulookin

I'm not sure how to delete my question, but it turned out to be a bad battery. I guess I was looking for a big issue since the CJ is older than me! Glad it was a simple fix : )

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 9:22 PM
  • merlin2021

Glad you got it going, I was going to tell you the Battery!

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 10:18 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

COME ON BACK ANYTIME, FOR ANY OTHER ISSUES YOU MAY HAVE

EXPLORE THE CJ 5 AND CJ 7 2CARPRO FORUMS

I CAN ASSIST YOU IN LOTS OF FIXES AND TUNING HIM UP

DO YOU HAVE A REPAIR MANUAL?

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 11:05 PM
  • keepulookin

Thanks! I have lots of stuff I want to do with it. Replacing belts, new beefy air filter, among other things. I'm just glad I don't have to worry about him starting up now. No repair manual. Was looking online for one today but didn't come up with anything. Any recommendations for manuals?

Can't wait to get started. I know I'll have questions when I get going on these projects. It's nice to know I have a resource that's very helpful available to me! : )

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 11:22 PM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

OK HERE'S YOUR 1ST GIFT. AS LONG AS THEY CONTINUE TO "RUN" IT

ACTUALLY IT'S FROM "MORRIS", IT GETS OVERLOOKED, BUT IT IS THE VERY BEST MANUAL YOU CAN HAVE FOR NOW.

THESE ARE THE ACTUAL JEEP FACTORY MANUALS.A PAPER FACTORY MANUAL WOULD BE BEST, THEY ARE HARD TO FIND AND EXPENSIVE.I ACCIDENTALLY GOT MY '79 MANUAL YEARS AGO AND WISH I HAD CARED FOR IT BETTER

REMEMBER THAT THE TRUCKS/CHEROKEE ARE INCLUDED IN THE READING ALONG WITH CJs. MAKE SURE YOU ARE READING THE "CJ PART"!

OTHERWISE YOU'LL BE FIXING A CHEROKEE!

Sunday, July 29th, 2012 AT 11:38 PM
  • keepulookin

AWESOME! Are there any resources for original parts or will I end up piecing together things I need from other vehicles? Things I want are a door handle, passenger side mirror, and the knobs for the window handles.

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 12:08 AM
  • keepulookin

I see the same website has a ton of parts. So excited. Looks like I found a source for all my fun money to go to!

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 12:28 AM
  • ASEMaster6371

Nice going CJ good stuff

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 1:32 AM
  • CJ MEDEVAC

ROGER!

GLAD TO SEE THE "BUBBLING"!

THERE ARE SO MANY AFTERMARKET PARTS AVAILABLE---THE ONLY ORIGINAL STUFF YOU REALLY NEED IS THE ENGINE AND ENTIRE DRIVE TRAIN (MOST OF THE INNARDS ARE AVAILABLE AFTERMARKET)

I ALSO GET SOME OF MY STUFF FROM oconeeoffroad.com ,AND MANY OTHER PLACES TOO

BEING EXPERIENCED WITH CJs SINCE 1981 (WHEN I STARTED DRIVING) I HAVE HAD 7 TOTAL AND NEVER HAD ANYTHING ELSE, YOU SORTA GET THE KNACK FOR WHAT IS A QUALITY DURABLE PART AND WHAT IS NOT SO GOOD!

I STILL HAVE 6 & 7 WHICH I'VE HAD SINCE THE EARLY 90s (YOU TAKE CARE OF 'EM MORE AS YOU GET OLDER).....YOU ALSO ARE SORTA ABLE TO DIAGNOSE AND MAKE A REPAIR MORE EZily.

I WISH I HAD CAUGHT YOU BEFORE YOU GOT YOUR BATTERY...I WAS AT WORK

THIS IS THE "ONLY" WAY (METHOD) TO PURCHASE ANYTHING----SEE THIS ANSWER ON July 16, 2012, IT STARTS OUT """AS FAR AS I KNOW THEY HAVE NOT SOLD THAT JEEP YET"""

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1985-jeep-cj7-inconsistent-curb-idle-low-power-hi-rpms

USE THIS METHOD TO PURCHASE...PICK UP AT STORE WHENEVER POSSIBLE (SAVES ON SHIPPING--SEE WHAT YOU GET, BEFORE YOU ACCEPT IT)

SEE MY ANSWER ON May 23, 2012--AT THIS POST

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1985-jeep-cj7-6cyl-258-ci-that-through-ingnition-modules-they-cookies

MY LINKING SPEEDS THINGS UP, AS I AM A SLOW HUNT AND PECKER...I MAY HAVE ALREADY EXPLAINED A PROCESS TO ANOTHER POST (WHY RE-WRITE IT?)

SEND PICS OF YOUR RIG, LIKE SEVERAL OF THE JEEP AND ENGINE COMPARTMENT

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 2:12 AM
  • keepulookin

Everything I order online will have to be lightweight. Since we live in Panama, it's a little bit harder to find things in store here and costs $6/pound to ship in from the states and import fees on values over $50 will really increase cost. Hopefully I can find the heavier items down here in the tropics.

I miss big box stores like Advanced Autoparts that have all their deals because we really don't have anything like that here. We didn't buy another battery, although the hubs will be getting one tomorrow morning. We just took a battery out of another Jeep we have to see if it would work since we knew that the other Jeep's battery worked for sure.

Good to know about the aftermarket stuff. I thought that would be hard to find, especially on a '78 CJ7. And my wish list grows. Shifter boots, door seals. Hmmm.

Monday, July 30th, 2012 AT 2:42 AM