BECOME A MEMBER
Sign up with Facebook
I AGREE TO THE
Login with Facebook
BECOME A MEMBER
Step by step explanation on how an automotive fuel pump works. This article pertains to most fuel injected vehicles.
- A fuel pump starts by being submerged inside of a fuel tank which is common among all fuel injected vehicles. The sump holds fuel near the pump inlet.
Fuel Pump Sump
- A connector is located near the top of the fuel tank, which is used to supply power and ground for the fuel pump and sensing wires of the fuel level sender.
Fuel Pump Wires
- A corrugated fuel tube is used to connect the pump to the top of the tank through the cap plate.
- Sometimes held in by clips the fuel pump can by mounted to the top plate and be
as a unit.
Fuel Pump In Tank
- The pump body is where an electric motor is mounted to a small vein pump which picks up gas and then pressurizes the
Fuel Pump Body
- The fuel level sender is attached to the fuel pump housing. This float rides on the fuel level while the sensing resistor provides feedback data for the
Fuel Level Float
- A pre-filter is used to keep large debris from the pump inlet which would hinder pump performance.
Fuel Pump Pre Filter
- Once the fuel has been pressurized, the fuel filter cleanses it before traveling into the
fuel injection system
- A fuel pressure regulator is used the control pressure maintained in the system.
Fuel Pressure Regulator
A fuel injection system is more efficient than its predecessor, the carburetor, and can better operate in extreme conditions. Electric fuel pumps can experience wear and tear on the armature, brushes or bearings, which causes a gradual loss of pressure. An inlet filter sock is designed to block tank sediments. Running the fuel pump out of gas can cause premature failure.
Inspect the fuel tank for sediment when
replacing the pump
To extend pump life replace the
at regular intervals.
throttle body and idle control valve
when replacing the fuel filter.
Our certified car repair technicians are ready to
answer your car questions
Related Car Repair Information
How to Replace a Fuel Pump
How to Test a Fuel Pump
How to Replace a Fuel Filter
Article first published
Manuals and Instructions
Wonder Why A Fuel Pumps Work? Here Is How
Ask a Car Question. It's Free!
Find a car manual for your car
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Need To Replace Your Fuel Pump? Do It Like A Pro
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Toyota Tacoma
© 1999 - 2016 2CarPros, Inc.